How can I Raise my milk supply?

I feel like im not making enough milk to supplement my baby, she is 15 weeks now and drink about 6 oz from a bottle... when i pump , im only getting about 3 oz? she eats about 10 min on each side but lately it seems as though she is still hungry.. she gets frustrated??

RemiElise

Asked by RemiElise at 2:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Growth spurt. Put her skin to skin and have a nurse in, where you lay in bed and nurse her non stop if need be. Most women don't even get as much as you when they pump. She will get out FAR more than any pump will. During growth spurts, baby will eat TONS more and seem always hungry. Feed her anytime she wants it. The more she eats, the more you will make.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with PP. Let her nurse as often as she wants. Babies won't nurse more than they need to. All my kids were on-demand babies. And as adults, not one of them is fat (like so many ppl say will happen to on-demand babies). Pumping inbetween feedings will also help. The more you express your milk, the more your body will create as it thinks it needs to keep up with the demand of baby.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• When your baby suckles, your body is given the message that it needs to produce more milk. Often, simply allowing your baby to suckle longer and more often can quickly increase the amount of breast milk your body produces naturally. Skin to skin contact when not nursing helps too.

Never finish a feeding before your baby is ready, as it can affect your body's natural triggers to produce milk. Furthermore, the portion of breast milk your baby takes at the end of feeding contains healthy fat imperative to growth and weight gain, and allows the baby to go longer between feedings.

Drinking excessive amounts of fluids will not increase your milk supply, however proper hydration is important. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Increase your calorie intake. Healthy Mom =Healthy Baby

Drink fenugreek tea. It is a natural herb that helps to increase milk supply. It can be found in all good health stores.

Hope this helps
    Julie
    TexBrit2012

Answer by TexBrit2012 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have been told to eat oatmeal. If you like oatmeal then give it a wheel. Otherwise just keep nursing. As the other posts have said Dont stop before baby is done. Keep baby there even if there is no more milk that way your body will get the message that you need to start producing more. Remember to relaxe and Dont give up. Good luck
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 3:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you want to increase you milk... pump and nurse often. gl
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• BEST way? Just nurse. Three ounces is overachieving at the pump. Six ounces is actually too big a bottle... cut that to 3-4 ounces. Baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. Never mind what she'll TAKE... I'll take a gallon of Rocky Road, too, y'know?

You've been given great pointers already.. but nothing helps better than just nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• take a weekend and nurse her every half hour to hour. Make sure she totally empties both breasts. You can do this by switching her back to first breast after she finishes second breast. She is most likely in a growth spurt. Unfortunately pumping doesn't do a great job of emptying breast. More you can breastfeed the better. I am breastfeeding 6 month old twins. You can produce as much milk as baby needs.
    sunshinesunrise

Answer by sunshinesunrise at 5:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• baby to breast always and stop the bottle if you supplement with a bottle you will NEVER produce enough it will take your body 24-36 hours to 'catch up" with her demand she will not starve just keep putting her to breast as often as she'd like
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 6:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• fenugreek 4 caps 3xpd- that will boost your supply.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 7:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would definitely try something herbal. I've been using Breastea from http://www.breastea.com and my milk supply has definitely increased. Some other things are make sure to pump or breastfeed every few hours. Don't go overnight without one of them.
    bigmamaisback

Answer by bigmamaisback at 11:41 PM on May. 24, 2011