Apparently I am a snob

I want the best for my child. I want the best education for her. I care about how she looks when we go out in public. I make sure she has clothing that fits well and shoes that fit her feet. I don't buy stuff that will fall apart within weeks. I am willing to pay for her to go to school. I don't let her hang out with kids who are bad influences.

We were at the store and there was a family of 7. The mom, dad, and their five kids. The two babies were in nothing but diapers. (It wasn't that warm). The two middle kids were wearing shorts and flip flops. One of the older girls was wearing what looked like a prom dress for a six year old, and the other girl was in a swim suit. Neither of the older girls was wearing shoes at all. Both parents were carrying IPhones and the mom had a Coach purse. I was just thinking....dress your kids.

I take care of my kid before myself. She doesn't have to have everything name brand or the latest and greatest. But I do want her to present a neat appearance. There are some things I will not skimp on...her helmet and bike, her shoes, her health, and her education.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• From that it dont sound like your a snob to me.
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well..... hard to say since we dont know the story behind why the kids were dressed that way. I agree with what you do for your kids and see nothing wrong with it. But I have taken peter pan, captain hook, a power ranger, and many others to the store with me because my kids LOVE to dress up.
    Anonymous

• you don't sound like a snob to me. you sound like a mom who gives a darn about her children. those things like caring about their appearance will benefit them in the future. not just health wise...but career. they will know how to dress when going certain places.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I see nothing wrong with dressing up in costume..... But these kids were not dressed for the weather. It was chilly and windy and two babies were dressed in nothing but a diaper. Put some clothes on the kids.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Not a snob. I know when I went thru my sturggling single parent years....Salv Army and Goodwill clothed us many times. You don't have to have Hollister, Abercrombie to be DRESSED
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 3:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You're not a snob. You just have common sense...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Never said you did Bry. But they should be dressed appropriately for the weather.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with taking care of your kiddos before yourself,, but my son went through a phase of wearing cowboy boots, a jester's hat, and a T shirt that had lace and bows on it,, he begged me for it at a garge sale, and the summer that he was 4 it was all I could get him to wear,,LOL! I had a lady ask me WHy in the world would you let your son go out like that?? I told her because his clothes were what HE wanted, and that as long as it wasn't hurting anyone, why should she care,, now the babies in diapers when it is cold isn't bad, but they were not your kids, so I guess you don't know the whole story,, maybe they were out of milk, and just needed to run out, who knows,, but I think it would be better to worry about yourself than others!!! IMO
    Anonymous

• How do you know that the kids weren't playing dress up just before it was time to go to the store? Maybe the parents aren't as concerned with appearances and are more concerned with their children's imagination and well being.

Until you know their exact circumstances, do not judge.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• that doesnt make you a snob. I understand how you feel about taking care of your child. i am the same way even though mine is only a year old. I hate it when parents will sit there and buy name brand stuff for them selves and spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of heels, but when it comes to their kids, they buy shoes that fall apart in 3 weeks or shirts or pants that dont fit at all or only fit for about 3 weeks. There are something i wont spend a lot of money on because im on a tight budget being 17 and still in school and having a child, like im not going to spend 50 bucks on a toy just because they say its the best thing, when there is the same toy by a diff company for a lower price. but when it comes to health. clothes, shoes and eventually when she gets that age, education. there are something that are more important. i think every parent should put the needs of their children before there own "wants"
    Cas_93

Answer by Cas_93 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011