Homeschooling

Any pointers on how to begin homeschooling? After struggling all year, having my child's IEP dropped because the re evel said he no longer qualified... talking with teacher's and no improvements or concerns about failing grades... then the kicker... one of his specialist professionals said she realizes he requires more help but the school has high expectations of the students- he will continue to fall further behind but unless another evaluation next year qualifies him for help... there is nothing they can do. I'm sorry... call me old fashioned... but isn't the definition of an "educator"... "one who educates"?? Not... "refuses to adapt to a different type of learner". I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge that not everyone learns the same. I was actually told that they have higher expectations here" (we moved from another state). So... let me get this straight... you can hold your students to these expectations but not the teachers?? REALLY??!! I have made it clear NUMEROUS times that I will do anything- send the classwork home, whatever... Apparently it is easier to give F's than care.

SCMomKatie

Asked by SCMomKatie at 3:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• 1) Find your state laws http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
    2) Research teaching methods and curriculums (there's TONS of info out there)
    3) Join Happy Homeschoolers group here on CM - lots of knowledgable people in there
    Anonymous

• I have an IEP and I'm in college. I was home schooled through OHDELA (DELA) for 10th to 12th grade. In 12th grade they took my IEP away. They said bc I had all A's meant that I no longer needed my IEP. Go to a private psychologist to get your son his IEP back. Don't ever do a 504 either. That's B.S. The private psy. is expensive, but will totally be worth it.  I recommend doing home schooling through something like DELA. They have it in many states. The OH is for Ohio. LOL  I also recommend making sure he's in many activities like baseball or something like that to keep his social life going. Being home schooled can def be hard on you emotionally. I know that if I didn't do it, I wouldn't have graduated.  Good Luck!

loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Look it up on the internet
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am no help but will give you a bump and maybe someone else can give you some advice. Good Luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• idk
    SweetlilQtMama

Answer by SweetlilQtMama at 11:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• they also have 504 for people who dont qualify for iep
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Pre teen friendshipsFind your state laws http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• The teachers no longer care if your child is learning or not. Most classes now have 20 or 25 students and if the child can't keep up they don't care. It should not be this way, but it is. You can home school, go to your district office and ask to speak to the person who is over students that is home school. If she or he does not help you. Google home schooling and you will find lot of resources.
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011