Why do people make up tragedies?

I have been coming across so many BS stories lately... People claiming to be in abusive relationships... where their kids are being treated horribly etc... and then the story grows even more drama filled and more "Poor Me, I'm such an angel and look at all I am going through" is piled on... but their profile shows a totally different story? Or they post it all "Anonymously"... to include a death of a child, but there is no emotion in the writing. Just facts and Poor Me stuff... What the heck is up? A lot of bored teeny-moms I guess. Anyone else come across this crap?

Keriokeeee

Asked by Keriokeeee at 11:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Every single effing day. It pisses me off.

But then again, you never really know if someone is telling the truth or not, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Sorry, I didn't answer the entire question =oB

It's either a troll, someone seeking attention, or they actually have been through the tragedy they claim and they're just bad at writing about it.

But most of the time it's probably a troll or an attention seeker.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• no I have not come across it. People do have sad stories that are real. If they have an abusive relationship I am sure they will not write it all over their profile. People who are in abusive relationships tend to hide what is going on. So being able to talk about it with the anonymous button who cares. So she doesn't want her neighbor who may be on Cafemom to know her husband beats her. If you think it is BS then just ignore it. Go on to another post.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Oh I agree about not posting abuse on your profile... but some of these don't add up at all... like "i'm a single mom" and on the profile are pics of her wedding and stories all about her husband with pics of them and their kids etc...
    I don't care when it's here, but when they are trolling my other groups, where people have REAL issues... it pisses me off.
    Keriokeeee

Answer by Keriokeeee at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think many women come here to find support from other women. Are they making it up? I don't know. But I do know that not a single one of us will go through our lives untouched from trauma. That is just a fact. I have my own boo-hoo stories but I wouldn't post them on my profile. I watched my brother die when I was 12 ...ect..
    But I do have a good life and I am greatful for the things in my lfie that I have. I also know that many women do have abusive relationships - 1 in 3. That is a scary number. Whether we are on the net or if its in our own community there are many women who have hard times.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I AM A TEEN MOM AND I AM REALLY GOING THRU ALOT AND YOUR "QUOTE TEENY MOMS" IS REALLY HURTFUL I GET THAT ALL THE TIME. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM BUT MY STORIES THAT I SHARE IS TRUE AND I REALLY WISH THAT THEY WERE'NT.
    lovingleilani

Answer by lovingleilani at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It is because some people have nothing better to do with their lives. There are teenagers, women and men who all think it is fun to come on here and sucker women & moms into feeling bad for them. I have been through hell and write about it periodically but I don't do it for sympathy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• OK "Teeny Moms" was harsh, and I appologize... I was a teen mom too so I hear you. I think I mean "Teanagers PRETENDING to be moms" and I didn't word it very well.

And YES, I SOOOO agree that no one is untouched by tragedy. That is why I get annoyed at people who MAKE UP tragedy. It belittles those who have actually suffered, or are still suffering.

I guess I am just a painfully honest person, so I don't get people who lie... and manipulate others.
    Keriokeeee

Answer by Keriokeeee at 1:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• most people in an abusive relationship will post anon b/c their so will check out everything they are doing including going through this site to make sure there are not people on here "filling their heads with ideas of getting out" when I was with my abusive ex he sometimes took the phone to work and half the time my keys also so I couldn't have contact out of the house when he wasn't there to monitor it, I bet if we had had computer and internet he would have strictly monitored that. I agree that there are people who are making drama for the attention but to assume that they are only teen moms is ludicrous there are plenty of "adults" who do that too!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I generally ignore those posts.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008