Is your DH considerably older?

My DH is is 14 years older than I am and at first I thought it was great, but now I dont think it is that great! How about you is your dh older and if so what is good and what is not so good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• No he is 3 yrs older.

When I was 20 I dated a man that was 8 yrs older and I couldnt get out of my head how immature he must be to date someone so much younger. I really liked him but thought his peers must find him a bore since he chose to date someone much younger. As I matured (but was still in that relationship) his immaturity started to show by being overly critical, being a bit bossy, and a bit of a bully. I was maturing but he wasnt.

I really dont see huge age differences working out the majority of the time. Yes, I realize there ARE exceptions to that rule.

Anonymous

• mine is 8 years older - I don't know if that is considerably, but we have been together since 1995 when I was 18 and he was 26 and things are still good. There was a period of time about 3 or 4 years in where it wasn't good b/c I felt like I never had a chance to do all the things my friends did and I grew up a little so I wasn't the same person he met. But we worked thru it and it is so much better now
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My DH likes one day being 11 years older than me. It has been good, because when we got married, he was ready to settle down,had already sown all his wild oats, got all that out of his system, and has always been a very good husband. We will be married 23 yrs in Dec. My dad was 20 years older than my mom, and they divorced when I was 2. My daughter, who is 24, is married to a man who is 17 years older than her, and they will celebrate 4 years of marriage in a couple weeks. I guess it just really depends on the people in the marriage.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• He is 5 years older than me and I love it because he can relate to me when we're talking about things that happened - fashions, music, etc. My ex is 13 years older than me and we were married for 12 years, but instead of growing together as we aged, I grew up and he didn't - he stayed the same immature person he always had been.

Answer by missanc at 3:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Mine is.  I'm 25, he's 49.  We met when I was 15.  Don't feel the need to stick up for me ladies, he didn't know, lol.  Well, most of you already know that from my other posts on this subject.  He didn't have children until "us" and he wishes that he were younger so that he didn't hurt so badly when trying to play with them.  I think our age difference is great.  I have learned a lot.  Kid wise, he's a lot more patient.  I think he's young at heart because I don't see any place where his age is making him lack.  He's smart, been around long enough to have the wisdom that comes with age.  But on the other hand, I don't have to put up with any of that childish crap.  I guess a downside is that we'll never be together for 50 years. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'm 35 & he's 39
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My husband and I are the same age, I'm all of 6 days older. However, my Dad is 18 years older than my Mom, they'll celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary next year.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My SO (I hope to be my DH one day soon, LOL) is 13 yrs older than me. I've found it good & bad out of it. The only bad thing is that his body has been through a lot bc he's worked physical labor for many years & was a hard core partier in the past. So his body is always aching or hurt in some way. LOL He's a pretty good sport about it though.  I've thought about how he's 13 yrs older than me...he's totally gonna get old & die on me. I will be left to live the rest of my life without him. He's such an amazing man though. I couldn't imagine walking away from him bc of his age & how it does have an impact on our relationship in some ways. The good part tho is that he's mature, he knows how to treat a woman & he doesn't mind doing things that a 23 yr old likes to do sometimes.

loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My husband is just under 15 years older than me. We have to issues regarding age...
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My SO is 16 years older than i am. There have been good things and bad things that have come from our realtionship. Good things: he has helped me grow up in many ways. we have so many things in common. his parents dont care and are just happy that there is someone that makes him happy and doesnt take advantage of him. Bad things: my parents know that we are together, however, we have not come out exactly and said "hey were a couple" even though weve been together for over a year.
    Jayseeka

Answer by Jayseeka at 4:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011