Finding time to take care of yourself?! How do you ladies do it?

I work in a grocery store and I see all these moms with 2-3+ kids running around but their hair is still done, their make-up, the look in shape, dressed nice, their kids hair done and dressed good. Meanwhile, I can barely find time to brush my teeth let alone do my hair, makeup, keep my nails and feet trimmed and soft, workout to lose weight, get my kids dressed and nice looking, etc.....how do you do it?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 3:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have to get up early. 6am hubby goes to work and I get to work out and shower before they get up. After they go to bed I paint my toes if they need it but they are never professionally done. I don't bother with fingers because doing dishes always chips them in a day anyway lol. My hair never looks as sleek as I would like it to when I leave it down, but I can manage an elegant twisted bun in less than 5 minutes with the right hairpin. And as for clothes.... well I'm still working on it, but I have never been one to wear sweats/pajamas in public. It's not too hard to make a pair of jeans look nice. Cute ballet flats are comfy and a shirt that doesn't include words and graphics.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• When you find out let me know.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If I need to get ready to be some where I get up an hour before the rest of the family.
    Anonymous

• Anon- are you implying that working moms somehow have more time to spare? I beg to differ. I have been on both sides of the fence, both are equally challenging. Working out of the home full time, or working in it full time. I had *less* time when I was working full time, and the same amount of housework, cooking, etc.
    It is a simple matter of time management, and personal standards... sorry you fail to see that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You're not home most of your waking hours very likely since you have a job. I am a SAHM and I don't do the makeup thing but I do my ahir and wear clean and nice clothes when I go out. I make sure my kids look good too. It's not easy even though I'm home with them and sometimes it's a big stretch but I don't think it has anything to do with time being poorly managed. No two days are alike. My kids and I have different moods and some days aren't great.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Haha, no ObbyDobbie, I'm saying that working moms are more organized and care more about their appearance.

So I agree with you, it's about time management and personal standards.

Anonymous

• Get up earlier then your children do and you have extra time to care for yourself. With small babies, just use the evening to do certain things and while the baby is playing in playpen (listeing to music or light show on ceiling...they work great) go take a few minutes for yourself. I often moved the playpen near the door so they could see me. After awhile it gets easier and they can sit by themselves while you take some extra time each morning.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 4:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I get up before the kids. That is my time. I shower, do my make up and hair - witch is only about 10-15 minutes total. That way I'm done and can focus on them when it's time to get them ready. I have my 4 year old get dressed and brush her teeth while I'm getting the baby (1) ready.

Like Wildflowers said...some days it's not so great. Some days this works well, others, not so much.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Ya gotta make the time and compromise on the little things in life (the dishes will wait another hour!)
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You find a schedule that lets you do it, and stick to it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011