Shopping at the Rockefeller center

I might be travling to NY for a day trip with my hubby and children. We want to go shopping on a budget of course and I was wondering if anyone had ever been to the Rockefeller Center and if it is worth taking a 4hr 40min drive one way for? If you could offer up any other suggestions good or bad that would be great!! The last time we were there was directly after 9-11. When the buildings were down and they were cleaning up and the roads were all messed up, I have to say it was more of a nightmare because we got lost, but on a good note one of the fireman on a fourwheeler helping clean gave my son a piece of the world trade center.

determind

Asked by determind at 11:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Travel

• We were just up there last month. Now they have up fencing around the site so you can see in. But, RC was fine. They should have the tree up now (I think.) I live in FL, so I don't know. The shopping on 5th was really good when we were up there last. We will be going again in a few weeks and will do shopping there. Don't know if it helps, but I think it's worth the drive.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 10:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I was just there two weeks ago and the tree was up, but if you are looking for budget shopping, this is not the area. You are right near 5th Avenue where you can find some very nice but pricey stores. In the actual Rockefeller Plaza, there is minimal stores, a NBC store, some places to eat, etc. If you are definitely going to New York City, head to South Street Seaport where there is a decent size mall and you can shop in there. Also, if the weather is bad, this is a great place to kill time while waiting for your husband. They have a food court in there so kids can always find something to eat. Hope this helps.
    momtoryanh

Answer by momtoryanh at 1:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Ah, Manhattan at Christmas time...no place like it on earth, the whole city just seems transformed.
    I would go if I were you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008