How can I have a program at a school investigated?

Kids are getting worse not better. It is a behavior classroom and my son and other children are failing. Did some questioning and have found other parents are having the same issues, their child's behaviors is getting worse not better. I am so frustrated because I have no idea where they are going wrong and feel they should be investigated for improvements(or if someone is being awful to the children) to help our children.

HMcKee

Asked by HMcKee at 4:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• call the school board and talk to them
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 4:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Talk to the principle and voice your concerns. Sometimes, the best strides are made from interaction with a personal counselor or aide . . the classroom is really about socializing and tyring to learn curriculum. Does he have a case manager or occupational therapist that you can talk to?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Does your District allow parents to monitor classrooms? Ours does. You check into the office tell them which class. You have to enter quietly and sit in the back not speaking to students or teacher. Parents can monitor any class they have a child in here, without a prearranged appointment.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Monitor the classroom.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma - I'd park my tail in the class as often as I can. Write down anything that seems off to you (also the positives you really like) and take it to the principle AND the school board. I often have struggled on how to stand up to the teachers/school but yet have my child still show respect to them.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 4:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• brypmom said everything i was going to..
    -visit class often.
    -speak to principal.
    -visit school board & get other parents to go with you. it is a public forum so you wont be ignored or shut out.. many times when talking 1 on 1 you can get ignored or they give you the run-around. But talking at the school board is a big step.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Is this a special class for children with IEPs? If so, you should be able to get any concerns addressed through the IEP process. Since there are many parents with concerns, then you all need to call for an IEP meeting at the same time & "cc" the written request to the building principal & the director of sped services for your district. If you can, get together with the other parents and write very similarly worded letters expressing the same concerns. Make sure you all send the letters out at the same time too, or this won't work. When senior staff get "complaints" at the same time from mulitple parents with children in the same classroom, they realize very quickly that something is amiss and requires their direct attention. If you have already addressed your concerns w/the teacher in the past & nothing changed, then the parents could request a mtg. w/the bldg. principal & sped director only to discuss the situation.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It is a special education room. My son has aspergers but he room is also used for any child with behaviors or social and emotional problems (all on IEP's) I have had a meeting at least every 2 weeks along with other parents. Most parents just give up and send their kids away for a while. I have talked to teacher, principle, special ed director, case manager, and special education for the state, it has done nothing. These poor kids just get sent to group homes and I can't help but be upset that more parents won't fight this. I have noticed with my time in the classroom the teachers don't all care about there job or the kids, but not sure that is enough for these kiddo's to get so violent. I just feel no one will listen and the kids suffer
    HMcKee

Comment by HMcKee (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011