How to get little one to drink from a straw?

How did you get your little one to drink from a straw. I've been trying for months and he just won't take it. Pedi is recommending that we use straw cup because of ear problems. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

smfeld

Asked by smfeld at 4:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put the straw in the cup, cover the top with you finger so that some of the liquid is trapped in it, put the other end in lo's mouth and let go so the liquid falls into their mouth. Using something sweet (we used 50/50 juice/water) doesn't hurt either. He learned around 10 months.

Answer by missanc at 4:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• just keep practicing and he will get it! My son started very early b/c of nana and papa letting him drink out of there cups (like 5 months old)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Don't worry, they eventually figure it out. It is definately hard to explain to a young child. My oldest took a long time to figure out the straw and the sippy cup. I don' t know how to speed the process up, but rest assured, they will figure it out evenually.
    PlumLovinMom

Answer by PlumLovinMom at 4:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We used a sippy cup with silicone straw to start. Filled the part above the valve with juice or whatever. Kid sipped, immediate reward, sipped again, drank from cup, was happy.

All 3 of my kids (and 2 of them never took a bottle) learned by 6 months, aboiut the time they started solids. One learned immediately, the ohter 2 it took about a week. They also saw us drink from cups with straws a lot, and we could do with the PP said and give sips from the straw. They knew straws=tasty.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• PS don't give regular sippy cups if you can avoid it. That does confuse them, that some cups work only upside down and some work only right side up!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• How old is your child? I have an 18 month old and he still cannot drink from a straw! I have bought SO MANY cups for him to find "the one" but we have yet to succeed! Good Luck!!!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 5:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Our son picked up on it from watching us in restaurants. When we started switching him over we'd let him sip from our cups at dinner until he got the hang of it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thank you all. My son is 13 months. He take a normal sippy fine, just having troubles with straw. He likes to just play and bite on it! Silly boy!
    smfeld

Comment by smfeld (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2011