How do you respond to unexpected critcism towards your parenting?

In my opinion, most of the time it does feel like more of an insult rather than advice.

shynu

Asked by shynu at 4:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• "Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks." While thinking "Eff off you stupid ass."
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Goes in one ear and out the other. I am my kids parents so I do what I feel is right. I don't sit there and tell people what they are doing is wrong.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Criticism or someone being outright rude?  I try to keep an open mind, I learn a lot of things that I hadn't thought of/ had any experience with.  When someone is outright rude, I have no problem putting them in their place.  Just trying to give some mommy tips?  I'm all ears.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If it is from someone older (ie 60+) I realize their way of raising was a bit different and I try to take it as advice. NOW if they have NO kids or their kids are not my kids ages......oh yeah? let me know how it goes when YOU get here...until then hush (or other words to that effect)
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 4:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I haven't really encountered a whole lot of that as of yet...at least not by anyone but my mom and most of what she says to me is pretty insulting lol I just kinda smile and nod... I do listen because occasionaly she has something worth while to say and it is nice when that happens but otherwise I just chalk it up to her being her and I don't sweat it :)
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't believe they meant to be rude. My friends kid was throwing a fit & someone walked up saying their child does the same thing & made suggestions. Personally I was offended. If we wanted advice, we woulda asked. My friend made a forced smile. I could tell bothered her. :-( So I gave him my cell phone & let him play games & he was cool.
    shynu

Comment by shynu (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I try to ignore them, or listen to them and say thanks I hadn't thought about it that way or I say Really?!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i take it with a grain of salt....9 times out of 10 when someone's trying to give me advise about my kid, theirs is usually doing the same thing and getting away with it while i am trying to control the situation and someone stopping me to give advice interups my attempts and then i think "i'll take your advice when your kid listens and doesnt walk all ovr you"
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2011