Proper nutrition after formula(please help)

Now that my daughter is no longer taking formula what can i feed her throughout the day to make sure that she is getting the right amount of nutrition? This is her feedings as of right now.
Breakfast-Cereal with milk, waffles, or banana pancakes
Lunch-Yobaby Yogurt, Lunchables Jrs, Mac nd Cheese, Cheese sandwich
Dinner-Chicken and rice, hot dogs and apple sauce, chicken nuggets nd mac n cheese, pizza, vegitable soup, or w/e we eat if we eat dinner early enough
Snack-Puffs, pretzels, cheese slices, crackers, cookies

Are those all ok or is there something else she needs in her diet? Also how much milk should she be drinking throughout the day? And is it ok to let her have fast food once a month? Like chick-fil-a or a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin Doughnuts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds pretty good though I'd ditch the Lunchables. They are full of salt.
    I'd also suggest switching out one snack to be fruit.
    Make sure she gets only 1 "serving" of junk snacks a day. That would be something like 2 Oreo cookies.
    Limit dairy (all milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) to a max of 20 ounces a day. Too much can cause constipation and will keep her from eating good food.
    And it doesn't matter if she eats a balanced meal at each meal or even if her diet is balanced that day. As long as she gets a good variety of healthy foods over the course of a week, she's fine.
    If you are still concerned, you can give her a children'ts chewable. My daughter gets a 1/4 of a Centrum Chewable each day. I use a pill cutter to cut them since they shattered with a knife.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i give my son a nutri-pal (they're cheaper than pediasure here, or i'd get pediasure. parents choice is also cheaper) every once in a while. he's in that picky eating stage..ugh it's driving me crazy. he used to eat everything, now he won't even eat speghetti. i try to get healthy things for snacks, like the chips with fruit/veggies in them, oatmeal bars, 100 calorie packs,ect. i also agree with the first poster.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• you're feeding her a lot of processed foods. why not fresh fruit, steamed veggies, and meat? I don't think you are missing anything (maybe protein), it's just not the healthiest way for her to get her RDA

I am a nutritionist.

In case you wanted to see someone else's feeding schedule, here's what 25 months old eats
    AM: milk, yogurt, 1/4 cup fruit (or 1/2 grapefruit, bananna), and 1/2 whole wheat bagel
    Snack: Cheerios & peanut mix, or apple, or 5 crackers
    Punch: 1/2 PB&J, or grilled cheese and ham. 1/2 cup fruit, rice cake (or carrots) Juice
    Snack: Juice, crackers or apple sauce, or nuts
    Dinner: Milk. Always a meat (chicken, turkey burger, steak), always one veggie (asparagus, peas, cauliflower, carrots), and a starch (pasta, rice, couscous).
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• sorry to have written a lot. regarding the first post, children are not recommend to take supplements until age two... not sure if yours is there yet. but I agree with limiting the salt intake as well (processed foods is the killer, like I mentioned)

What about eggs in the AM? mine is allergic, so we can't do it. you could also try fish (not frozen breaded)
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Also keep in mind that you don't need to get all the nutrition in during one day. If one day is more veggies and the next more fruit, then you are doing fine. Watch what she is eating over the entire week. You'll probably see a good healthy mix going on :) I don't even know what my daughter gets half the time. She gets breakfast, lunch and a snack at day care each day. I know they are healthy foods b/c I used to look at the menu. But I trust that they give good meals so I don't even look at the menu any more.
    Anonymous