My mom won't stop!

My mother keeps buying my kids toys everytime we go in the store and it's driving me insane. My mom will tell me " But it was cheap." I don't care if it was a penny! I know it's her job as grandma to spoil he grandbabies but lately my DD whom is 8, has been really whiny about what she wants. If you tell her NO then she pouts and cries. If we are not going somewhere that she wants to go then it's more whining. "BUT" "WHY" "I WANNA". I keep telling her it's not always about what she wants. How can I teach her to be grateful for the things she has and when I do take her somewhere fun? And how do I tell my mom to stop without her always saying "Well I just won't buy them anything anymore!" Like she tries to make me feel guilty about this. I don't mind if she buys for them sometime just not all the time.

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have your daughter help you go thru the toy box and give away some of her old toys to a homeless shelter. Explain that not everyone in the world gets even 1 toy let alone 1 every time they go shopping. Maybe tell your mom to save up on those "little inexpensive" things for something big for bday or christmas "wouldn't it just make her eyes shine to get XXXXX from YOU"
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 4:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Tell your mom NO MORE TOYS. If she tries the guilt "then I won't buy them anything anymore", say thanks.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree that you should ask her to hold off on them and give them on special occasions. She should understand if you approach it that way.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Do not let this become a problem, your daughter is old enough to understand that this is grandmas way, not yours, let her indulge them, it is probably one of the few pleasures she has left.....

Answer by older at 4:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Every season my children go through their toys and donate at least a few. I am grateful the grandparents think about them all the time but when we get too many some have to go, so I let the kids decide which to keep and which to give to less fortunate ones.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 4:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011