Sports

i want to sign my dd up for sports this summer she is six, but she doesnt want to do any. I think it would be fun for her and she would meet new people and she would get great exercise. have you ever signed your kids up for something when they didnt want to? do you think its wrong for me to give her an option of choosing to play softball soccer swimming or dance even if she doesnt want to do any?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 4:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Give her the choice of an activity but tell her that she has to do something over the summer.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I tried that once with my oldest daughter (who was 8 at the time). It was a class at the local park where they played a different sport each week. She went to the class under protest, crying the whole way then REFUSED to participate. She just sat there crying and throwing a fit. We couldn't leave because my younger dd was also in the class. I paid $10 for the class and she participated all of 20 minutes in the 6 classes I forced her to go to. We missed a bunch of others because of weather and then I just gave up making her go.

You might want to ask if they'll let her sit in on the first class to see if she likes it. Once she sees how fun it is she might want to stay in it but forcing usually backfires.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You could sign her up for a day camp this summer at the YMCA or something similar. They will expose her to all sorts of sports related activities and I am sure she will find something she enjoys and can concentrate her time and energy on later. Just remind her if she never tries new adventures she will never know what she likes or can excel in.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 4:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Nearly EVERYTHING and every place offers a free trial class. ballet, tap, gymnastics, karate, etc etc etc. Schedule as many as possible and try to get her very excited about making her own grown up choice
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• She is 6. I like the YMCA option, they have summer camps and sprts programs that are only 2 months long. We had her try different sports and we talked about what she liked and disliked about each one. She has settled on Tee-ball.
    See if there is a friend doing one of the activities that she would like to go to as well. Also Girl Scouts is a good activity were she would get to do al sorts of different activities and develop some great friends, self esteem, and leadership skills. Summer Girl Scout camp is a blast.

I would make a deal with her, if she tries 2 sports this summer then she will get x reward. Yes, bribes are a beautiful thing and she may find something she really likes doing. Also I didn't give mine girls a choice on swim lesson. We have a pond in the back so they are going to learn how to swim.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011