Is $2.50 a month fair for a fuel surcharge for lawn care til fuel prices decrease?

Would you pay $2.50 extra to cover the rising prices of fuel to have your lawn cut? Fair price or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't think that it is unreasonable to raise your rates a small amount to cover fuel increases, but I also would only put up with ONE fuel increase before I dropped my lawn person. My guy has been cutting our lawn for a while now and hasn't raised our rates, like I said, I would understand it one time, but if he raised them again next year, I'd be looking for someone else.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It's fair. It's not fair for the lawn people to take the loss so they need to raise prices.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It sounds fair to me if it is only the $2.50. I would get it in wrting and make sure it says it will not go any higher for this lawn season..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• 100% fair!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Personally, no I don't think it is. Its a cost of doing business. I recently changed trash service providers because they added a fuel surcharge. Out of the 4 we can chose from in this area only one has done this & everyone I know who has them is dropping them because of it. The one I chose to go to said they are picking up a tremendous amount of business since the competitor started the surcharge. Sounds like a good way to lose customers, IMO.
    Anonymous

• its fair. the cost of doing business and benefitting from their service is the occasional increase in prices. in the salon, we increased our prices yearly, to deflect the cost of supplies/etc. what kind of business would you run yourself, if you continued to be charged more for doing business, but never increased your price of service? you'd be busy, sure, but you'd be in the poorhouse soon, too.
    you get what you pay for. if the service is good and reputable, pay the increase. if the service can be better somewhere else, by all means, change providers.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Anonymous makes a good point. When someone charges more we usually get their customers. However, due to lawn care prices never increasing like other services lawn care companies can take a major loss when fuel prices increase. To stay competitive we need to have similar pricing, but it doesn't always mean the other company is paying insurance, taxes, or all other expenses like a legit company does. Most people think our only expense is fuel. In one day we can go through $100 cutting lawns and driving back and forth to customers. Now imagine if the prices jump to $4 then $5. For every $ it increases we lose $2.50/customers each month. With the amount of customers we do, it causes a major loss!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well, its either charge a surcharge OR raise your rates. Either way.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think it's fair
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• While I think that a lot of people would just look for another company that is cheaper, I think MOST would think 2.50 a month is no big deal, and wouldnt really put a lot of thought into it and give you the extra. I think its totally fair after it is only 2.50.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2011