Terrible Twos

Ok, so I have a 19 month old who apparently has hit the terrible twos early, and shes hitting them hard. It seems like everyday I'm trying to get her to stop throwing a fit. She kicks and screams and yells and sometimes even produces tears. I mean, she's my 1st child and I don't wanna be wrong and something actually be wrong, but most of the time I can tell that shes just mad.
Plus part of this is our fault because she hasn't had a stable enviornment since she was 6 months old [hubby lost his job moved in with the in-laws...long story]. So she's been used to getting what she wants from her grandparents every time she whimpers.
Come the 1st of May we should have our own apartment, and I just really need some help getting her to stop of at least have them less and get used to the fact that she doesnt get everything she wants at the drop of a hat.
Plus I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I'm pregnant and her lil brother will be here in August.
I just feel helpless not knowing how to get her to stop or how to calm her down.
Please any help is apperciated. Thanks.

Ashley__Nicole

Asked by Ashley__Nicole at 4:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she is just mad....put her in her bed with "when you stop Mommy will come get you". This is an extremely difficult thing to do when the gparents are around :( I unfortunately had to yell at my mom once that I AM THE MOTHER NOW.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 5:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I had to walk away from my 2 year olds when they threw themselves on the ground with their fits. I never gave in and eventually they gave up. I feel for you; the gp's will undermine your efforts.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 5:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My son's tantrums stopped when I started ignoring them. I agree that telling her you will listen when she calms down might help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• bump! (:
    nikkimcnemar

Answer by nikkimcnemar at 5:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My daughter started her Terrible Two's at 16 months. She's 4 now and things are finally starting to get a little better. The thing that worked the best for her was to just walk away and ignore them. I remember in several stores she's start pouting and laying int he middle of an aisle. I'd step over her and keep going about my business. She got up and followed me, tantrum stopped in mid-wind up.

I don't think they have much to do with the new baby, yet.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I had no problem with the twos. They were awesome. Threes are an entirely different story. DD had never thrown a fit until about a month after her birthday. Now they are daily. When she throws herself to the ground and starts the high-pitched screaming or crying, I pick her up and take her straight to time out. It's a designated place, which seems important for keeping it up. She's learned now to take advantage of when I'm busy with her baby sister. She doesn't throw a fit now unless I'm feeding the baby or changing a diaper. She knows I can't get up and take her directly to time out when I'm busy like that. It makes me want to scream and throw a fit of my own, but obviously that won't work. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle those times.

Try time-out, though. It's gotten to the point where my DD doesn't even get a time-out warning. She knows the rules, and it works, so long as I'm not busy with baby.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2011