Fever question

DO you give your child fever meds as soon as you realise the child has fever?

MommyOK

Asked by MommyOK at 5:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• No I wait a few hours to see if it goes away unless its above 101 then I give them some
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I do,but only because my son has a problem with his "thermostat" in his brain. His body overreacts to any virus or bacteria and sends his temp through the roof

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Not at all. Same as we don't go to the doc asking for antibiotics whenever we can.

How old is the child? What is the temp?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My son is almost 4 and his fever is103.3 (rectal)
    MommyOK

Comment by MommyOK (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Give him some tylenol or ibuprofen and a luke warm bath.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I let my kids try to fight off whatever crud they have on their own first. Then, when they really start to look miserable I'll pull out the bare minimum necessary to help them feel better.

Any over 104 needs to go to the hospital/doctor immediately. 104+ can cause brain damage in children, possibly even death.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• *Any temperature over
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• HELL no. i wait and see. Unless he is in pain then I don't medicate a fever. Giving Tylenol too early can mask symptoms easily. The fever could become high enough to warrant a trip to the doctor but because of the medication you wouldn't know. If you have to take him to the doctor the doc may not see things that would tell him the kid needs treatment. Same thing with diarhea- don't treat unless the child is in pain or the doctor has seem him and tells you to,
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thank you ladies for your imput.....My son was very lethargic for a few hours so after I checked his temperature I gave him some medicine. He was miserable. It worked right away. He even ate a small meal and drank some fluids. So I'll keep an eye on him.
    MommyOK

Comment by MommyOK (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011