Stomach virus, to go to the dr or not....

My 21 month old woke up Thurs & vomitted, he did this several times through the day, not consistently though. He had a very mild fever Friday & Saturday, I'm talking under 100 degrees. Some diarrhea on & off through Saturday & vomitting through Saturday, again not alot. Lack of appetite, very sleepy, still has wet diapers & tears when crying, no signs of dehydration.

He was good yesterday, Sunday, getting his appetite back a little. He woke me up in the middle of the night & had diarrhea, then he vomitted again this morning. A couple of runny diapers this afternoon & vomitted once more.

Just called the dr. and they said that unless he spikes a fever or shows signs of dehydration to keep on doing what I'm doing. Fluids & rest. I'm just wondering how long a freaking stomach bug can last in a little one. None of my other kids ever had a bug for longer than 48 hours.... it SUCKS!

momof4qtz

Asked by momof4qtz at 5:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• That is a long time . . . if it were me, if your baby is not better by tomorrow, I would just make an appointment and go in. Strep also makes the kids throw up . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thanks ImaginationMama! You know, I thought about that, but was wondering wouldn't he have a higher temp and would he get diarrhea with it? I'm telling you, I feel like an ameteur & hes my 5th child! Yeah, I told the office that if things progressed through the night I would call them early in the a.m!
    momof4qtz

Comment by momof4qtz (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I know! I always feel like I am so ill-equipped to deal with my children's illnesses. I wind up calling my sisters and asking what they would do! I get so worried and sleep-deprived from watching the little ones during the night . . .

My little one just had strep, and I had no idea she had it! I brought her to the doc because of pink eye, and the throat swab was positive.

Craziness.

Anyways, I hope your little love feels better soon mama! Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I do the same thing, lol! Anyway, so after he threw up the last time, he laid down for a little while & all of a sudden is walking around, talking to everyone, playing with toys, singing dancing, the most active he's been since he got sick, unreal! Hopefully that was the end, thanks for your comments =)
    momof4qtz

Comment by momof4qtz (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011