Do thunderstorms freak out your dog(s)?

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pets

• We have a lab sheppard mix that hates storms & fireworks. If it's going to be a long lasting storm, we will medicate her. Otherwise, she finds places she likes to go to deal w/ it. Unfortunately, she forgets she's a big dog & tries to squeeze into little dog spaces! -lol Talk to your vet about meds. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have 3 dogs right now and none of them are phased by storms. But I had a golden retriever that was scared by storms. She broke a couple of teeth once trying to get out of the crate when a storm came through before I was able to get home. Zippy would get distructive when there was no people around but when we were home she would pant heavily and stay close. One thing that is very important is that when you have a dog that is stressing over storms or whatever you do not pet and comfort them. That makes us feel better but it actually gives dogs the wrong message and incourage a behavior we don't want.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Big time~~our Golden climbs into the bathtub~~I really dread the 4th of July
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My Yorkie gets really freaked out but my cockapoo doesn't.

Answer by older at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have 7 dogs and a couple of them hate storms and fireworks. My Great Pyrenees is the worst. She climbs into my lap like she's a Chiuaua or something. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• that's funny you say that, my daughter was just telling me this morning about our dog freakin out from the storm we had the last night and she opened up her window a tad bit to get some air and he didn't like it one bit. went to sleep with my son in the living room.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't know we haven't had a thunder storm here yet, only a little bit of rain.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011