Abnormal Paps

Back in December of 2007 I had an abnormal pap, but found out I was pregnant. they told me not to worry about it, because since i was pregnant - the abnormal cell growth could be because of the pregnancy, and if it wasn't, there would be nothing they could do until after I delivered. So .. i have my baby girl, and at the 6 week check up - another pap. they called to tell me that it was abnormal again, some sort of abnormal cell growth - and they had a long name for it.. one that i can't remember, but know that it is associated with Cervial Cancer.
I go back to the doc on Thursday to have them do a scrape, and take a closer look.
I have talked to several friends that have gone thru this - the answers range every where from - it's probably nothing to - they had the same problem and ended up with a hysterectamy.
What should i expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Health

• Try not to worry yourself so much right now. Spend time with you wonderful infant and wait until the doctors have a plan of action. If it is bad news you will find a strenght inside that you didnt know you had and can overcome everything. Lean on your close friends and family for support and stay positive, And above all, don't fall into self pity and doubt, voice you fears and concerns. Its also okay to cry.
    proudarmyfiance

Answer by proudarmyfiance at 1:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Was it Human Papiloma Virus? I have that and it is related to cervical cancer. Because I'm older, have two kids, was done procreating, and my uterus was badly prolapsed, my doc removed it and my cervix. Happy happy day! No more periods or birth control, no more buying pads and tampons, yippee! BUT I'm 43 so I can be happy about that. With HPV you dont' HAVE to have a hysterectomy, there are other treatments.

Maybe it was Endometriosis? Not sure if it shows up on a pap, it's abnormal cell growth as well. I know several older ladies (60s) who've had hysterectomies because of it but that was back in the day when doctors immediately wanted to "pull it ALL out". I know several younger women who have been been living with it and they're fine so far.

Just keep a positive outlook and see what your doctor has to say.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 12:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I had the same problem minus the finding out while I was PG. They did a scrape of my cells and it turned out that I HAD hpv. They did leep and it took all the abnormal cells off my cervix. That was about 6 years ago. I had to have a pap every 6mos for 2yrs and then 1 a every year like everyone else. I have been fine since. If you have gone for a pap every year and this is your 1st or even 2nd abnormal pap you are probley fine. Good luck
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I've had it twice. The did a cone biopsy (cut a bit off my cervix to test it & make sure it was just on the surface; it was) Then they did cryo surgery (they freeze the abnormal cells till they die, then the just slough off) I had LEEP done another time (they use an electrified loop of wire to burn them & kill them). When they are pre-cancerous cells its called "dysplasia", btw. Neither of those procedures are horribly painful; just uncomfortable. Its an outpatient procedure. I even drove myself home from one of them.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2008