Should the government downsize itself?

Most businesses are downsizing... why can't the government do the same to save money/cut the budget deficit?

sendcheer

Asked by sendcheer at 5:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "I'd hate to see people lose their job as we do not need any MORE unemployed, but I'd like to give members of Congress a deep pay cut"

I hate to see more working class people losing their jobs while 'fat cats' sit up on their hill in comfort. Those fat cats make a lot of money, and if they don't have some savings to get them through some downsizing, then why the hell are they running our govenment? We want people who can manage their money, tighten their belts when needed, and learn to live within their means when their means change...kinda like us everyday working class people have to do. I think they're a little out of touch anyway with the majority of the people they are suppose to represent.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The government runs so far away from the constitution, that the constitution may as well be flushed down the toilet. Yes they should downsize.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The government should shrink to a quarter of the size it is now maybe even smaller. It is simply too big. People are going to have to learn to be more responsible and depend less on Government. One way or the other the safety net will be gone if they don't make some life changes.
    Anonymous

• How would eliminating taxpayer funded employment positions hurt the economy? Would unemployment or welfare for those positions cost taxpayers more than their positions already cost them? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oh, yes. They should. Or, should I say, we should down size the gov't. Write your representative and insist on it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes, absolutely they should downsize! I also think a lot of what is done at a federal level could be done better and cheaper at a state level.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• OF COURSE they should downsize!! The redundancy that is government agencies is astounding!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'm for just about any types of cuts that will NOT effect seniors or the (truly) disabled.

(Just a few ideas I have to help:  Our Govt seems a bit top heavy so let's start there!  Take away all private jets, let 'em fly coach.  Take away all but 2 assistants per VIP.  Make them pay what the avg. worker pays toward their own health care. etc.  You get the idea.)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Can we start from the top and work our way down??
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No. it will take too much money out of the economy and cripple the already weak recovery

It would put money back into the economy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011