Heartburn!

Here within the past few days, it seems like everything I eat or drink has given me heartburn, really bad heartburn. Im 23 weeks and just wondering if any of you other ladies started gettin it bad around this time and what I could eat or take to keep the heat down!

LilMama0620

Asked by LilMama0620 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I take 1 tsp ground cinnamon and a few tablespoons of real honey,. Mix well and eat it off a spoon or spread on toast, but I PROMISE it will stop the heartburn.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Im allergic to cinnamon :( So that knocks that idea out of the water. Thank you though!
    LilMama0620

Comment by LilMama0620 (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• oh, yes. It was bad.

Eliminate soda (all soda as it's not just caffeine it's the carbonation), peppermint, citrus juices, tomatoes/tomato sauces, fried food, fatty food, mustard, vinegar and chocolate.

Avoid drinking large quanties of any liquid at any one time. 

Avoid eating close to bedtime and try to sleep slightly propped up. 

Check with your doctor as to which antacid he/she recommends.  I preferred the liquid Maalox or the Gaviscon tablets, but some doctors have a preference as to what they would like you to take. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i thought i was gonna die from heartburn last night lol im 13wks 3days so mine has already started lol i read somewhere old wives tales say if you have bad heartburn your baby is gonna have lots of hair :) anyway nothing really helped last night but what relieved it a little was going to bed and putting my head up really high on pillows i took two tums and kept sipping iced water then i got really sleepy and slept off the heartburn lol sorry i dont have any other advice hope you feel better
    mrsejaney

Answer by mrsejaney at 6:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I still get heartburn bad from WATER, thanks mostly to my first pregnancy. I take Protonix, a prescription heartburn medication that is MY lifesaver.

Before protonix tums just turned it into fruity flavored heartburn.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oh, and it was so bad that I vomited all over the anesthesiologist's patent leather shoes while they were prepping me for my son's emergency C-section.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• mrsejaney
    It might be an old wives tale, but you should have seen the head of hair my son had. One of the first comments the nurses made (right after commenting on the size of his feet) was "and look at all that hair! You must have really had some bad heartburn"
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• There's a spot in the spine, that if it's out, it causes outrageous heartburn in anyone, pregnant or not. If I have killer heartburn for a couple of days (I'm not pregnant, but I've done it for years, both when I was & wasn't pregnant) I go to the chiropractor - it literally cures it as soon as that spot is adjusted.
    Anonymous