Please tell me it's nothing serious!!!

My MIL has been experiencing double vision for about 2 weeks now. She went to the opthamologist, who couldn't find anything abnormal about her eyes. She went to her regular physician last week who ordered an MRI and a Carotid artery study to be done today.I made the mistake of Googling possible causes of double vision, and all I can find are horrible things, like aneurysms, strokes, Guillaune-Barre and a list of other scary things. I'm trying not to freak out and not worry my husband, but I'm scared to death. Does anyone know if there are other causes of double vision that it could be, that aren't horrible? My MIL is 70 years old, and had surgery to repair an esophogeal hernia in January, has had high blood pressure for years,and has no other symptoms other than the double vision, at least none that I know of. I used to be a nurse but the only things I know of that cause double vision are scary, like the things I listed above.

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 6:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• Double vision can be caused by stress, migraines and even viruses. High blood pressure has also caused it in my grandma for a few weeks before they sorted the meds out. Do not worry yourself, a sudden onset for only 2 weeks is better than a lot of cases! Googling is bad!
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 6:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Can't tell you that. She just needs to keep seing doctors until one of them can find out what's causing the double vision.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• High blood pressure can cause double vision. Her age is probably the biggest reason. She may be on a medication thats causing it as well, or taking an over the counter drug with scrip med's thats causing it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sorry, can't tell you I am NOT a doctor. It could be something minor or it could be something serious and the ONLY one who can tell you for certain is a DOCTOR. Not a website, not people on a social networking site.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011