Hysterectomy question

If I'm in pain a lot before my period can I request to have a hysterectomy? I've always had the most painful ovaries pain clear back when I was a young girl,it left me incapable of doing anything for 4 days. I remember laying on my bed screaming in agony. Now that I've been done having kids my youngest is 10, my periods become really bad and I get extreme bloating before I start my period. I also get pain downstairs,i know its my cervix giving me hell again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• I doubt that you can request one. They would probably only do it if it was medically necessary.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Generally, no. Hysterectomy is considered major surgery and unnecessary for *mostly* normal period symptoms. Unfortunately, that sort of pain will probably not be considered a big enough reason for major surgery. If you have heavy bleeding with the pain, you could do an ablation, and if it fails, it would be much more likely that a doctor would approve a hysterectomy. I had an ablation in 2009 and it completely took away my pain. It's worth looking into.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Talk to your OB-GYN the worst he/she can do is say no.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011