Do you think 3 is too old to start potty training?

I asked my mom how she potty trained my 3 brothers and I. She said she waited until we were 3 and were ready (not sure exaclty what that means) and then she said it was very easy. I know most people start earlier, and people have already started asking me if I've started my 19-month-old. I like the idea of not pushing it, but not sure if it's too gross to have a 3-year-old in diapers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think 3 is too old to not even have started, but thats me personally. I think its good to start earlier, just cause you start early doesnt mean your pressuring, there doesnt have to be any pressure, I just sat my daughter on the potty if she went she went if she didnt she didnt, only took a few times of doing it in the potty and she didnt want to do it in her diapers anymore.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Both my kids were not potty trained until 3, my son just showed no interest and then he just got it and same with my daughter. I didn't pressure or push, they just "got" it one day and we have been diaper free ever since. But it is whatever works for your kid and your family
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My daughter was trained when she was two and half. So it just depends on the kid
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 6:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Some kids do much better if they are a bit older. There is no rule on when you have to do this..for me I couldn't wait to be done with poopy diapers..YUCK!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• yes it does depend on the kid. . . and each are ready at a different age, but 3 is getting a bit old to just be starting. . . MHO they should be trained by 3 not starting to be. . . my little one was fully trained by 18 mo. but we began when she showed interest. . . GL
    Anonymous

• I think you should do what is best for your family. There are benefits/detriments to both methods. Some kids are ready early and some just aren't. My son is 19 months and he's shown us signs that he's ready-- like stoppping his urine stream mid-go and restarting, indicating to me he's got bladder control. He's also very eager to please, and loves the positive attention. So we're taking it one step at a time-- introducing the concept and the words, right now. Yesterday, we gave him a chocolate kiss for sitting on the potty, fully clothed. He wasn't interested in doing it, even in exchange for a kiss, when he had his diaper off. So we won't push it.

My neice, on the other hand, is almost 3 and has no interest in even trying. Her favorite things are lollipops, and she won't even sit on a potty for a lollipop.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I like the idea of just introducing the potty at this point for him to get familiar with, but we're moving in 2 months and I'm wondering if it's worth it or if I might as well just wait? Going to be across country, so a huge shift in our lives.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Since your moving, I would wait to start -- but then begin ASAP. I think children should be "pretty much potty trained" by the time they are 3. We started at 18 mos and she never wore another diaper or pull-up after she turned 2.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i belive the older the better because they will understand what you are saying to them and how you are instructing them to go
    nanalove408

Answer by nanalove408 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Potty training is a long process that should never be forced. There is no set age on when to potty train, it all determines when the child is ready. For example, my boys didn't potty train until they were 3 but I had nieces and nephews all that ranged from 18 months to 2 years old (some of them were pretty advanced). However, when they do take an interest and they aren't scared about sitting on the potty they sometimes have difficulty of wetting the bed afterwards. Again, it is a long process and you must have patience. But when they're ready they take to it so quickly, it's like they've been doing it for a year.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 6:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2011