What do you think of arranged marriages?

I'm not talking psycho arranged marriages, I'm talking about ones where they meet a few times with others around but don't date or anything beforehand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• I have no issue with arranged marriage.. The majority of all the marriages in both my family and my husband's have been arranged marriages.. Ours was is one of the few that was not.. My son (soon to be 20) has requested an arranged marriage as well. My husband and I will follow his wishes, and we will arrange his marriage when he decides he is ready to marry.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think they are sad. Why should anyone be allowed to choose your mate/so/spouse?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Its fine as long as the final choices is between the couple and not all about the parents and who they want them to be with.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I know they are normal in some cultures but not my thing.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No issues with them. They were the only way for such a long time. Although my family traditionally in present day do not follow that way, when I was young it was discussed for me and my sister to have arranged marriages (although it was decided against)
    Anonymous

• As a religious/cultural thing I've read the success rates are quite good..... and I support people trying anything to find love. I worry, though, in cultures where it's then nearly impossible for the woman to break away if she is unhappy, being abused, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I can't do them i need time to know a person i have dated a men for years and still learning.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 7:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would have probably done better than me choosing myself. I always told my parents they should choose my dh bc I had no clue how to choose a mate. I've tried 3 times and divorced all three. Now I am done getting married. I just have no idea how to find a good man that I want to live with forever and ever

Answer by admckenzie at 7:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Personally, I find it an archaic practice. I know it used to be done in order for the family of the bride or groom to make connections and to benefit financially. I can't really see a reason to do it outside of those two reasons. I understand that it is still done is some cultures, but I can't comprehend why it would be done here in the US, where you aren't required to marry. Why not wait until you stumble across someone of your choosing?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have no issue with them, but would never have done it for myself as it isn't part of my culture.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011