Do I have any rights as a step-mom?

BrendaC.

Asked by BrendaC. at 7:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• yes..kinda....how long u guys been married for
    mary_visotski

Answer by mary_visotski at 7:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• do you live in the house? Seriously as an adult that presides over the house you have say. . .you have rights. . . As a step mom it kinda depends on the situation though and how long you have been married and all. . . can you give some details so we can better respond?
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 7:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• what kinds of rights are you talking about?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Not many. Not saying that you shouldn't just saying that from what I've read on here steps have very few right of anykind. My opinion is if the child comes to my house its my rules my way..child doesn't like it..stay home or child and bio can spend time together somewhere else....JMHO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• as far as rights like what? can you give me more info ?you have right as far as if one of the kids needs medical problems and you are the only one being able to take them to doctor and than of course they may want to get in touch with the other parentd and if you know they are being abused in some way you have rights to help them and can you give me something more as to what rights you are asking about for the kids?thanks iam not a pro but i know some things much love and peace from dawn.
    sunshine961

Answer by sunshine961 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes, but you also needs to discuss your roles in the household with your husband. He gets the final say about how he wants his child raised, but you obviously have rights.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Nope, no more then any other adult that lives with the child. Yes, you could send the child to his/ her room if misbehaving and in case of emergency, you can seek medical treatment but not much else. Now if your DH is the custodial parent he can put you on the list as to who can pick the child up from school and authorize you to take the child to the doctor but if he is no custodial, the only way to even be able to do that would be if their mom put you on the list
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You do not have any legal rights pertaining to the child. Its mostly up to your dh what you are allowed to do with your stepchid whie in his care.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That all depends on what the birth parents decide and that includes the Biological Mother.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The only thing I feel I have rights too, as a step-mom, is respect from the daughter and ex.
    ilmg2020

Answer by ilmg2020 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011