I have a niece who just turned 7 she likes to read. Any suggestions for books to give as a gift?

babymama322

Asked by babymama322 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7 year old neighbor started reading American Girl books. I think her Mom helps her still but she LOVES those books.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Junie B. Jones was a favorite of my daughter's when she was in first grade. She also enjoyed the Magic Treehouse books. Both series have a ton of great books and are relatively inexpensive -- especially on Amazon. :)
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Series of Unfortunate Events. My 8 year old loves them. But some mothers consider them a bit old for them.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• This was a long time ago (15 years) but when I was that age I was reading the Nancy Drew series, The Babysitter's Club, The Valley High series......but I don't know what they read now adays.

What about that Twilight Series that everyone has been talking about? Those books are rated at a elementary reading (5th or 6th grade I think).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My 8 year daughter loves Junie B Jones and American Girl books. Both of my 8 year olds love the Secrets of Droon series, it's kind of like the Narnia concept but written for younger readers.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Im not sure if that will help you, but you could check ebay (stores) and amazon. You can search books ect. by age and story. Thats what i usually do when i try to find something for my daughter. I mean my daughter is only 17 months, but the search by age option is really helpful sometimes.

Good luck! :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I THINK DR.SUESS AND BOOKS PERTAINING THINGS TO LITTLE GIRLS.
    lovingleilani

Answer by lovingleilani at 12:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Frankie K. Stein. She has a lab assistant that is a chocolate lab. I love it. Very cute and shows children that girls are SMART.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Maybe you should get her a gift card to borders or those other stores so that she can pick what she wants
    determind

Answer by determind at 12:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Lovingleilani - I think Dr. Suess is a little young for a 7 year old. Some of us are above our reading level - in 6th grade I read Gone with the Wind and did a book report on it....if the girl likes to read, then its likely that she can read above her age level.

OP - I do agree that a gift card is a good idea. Maybe a couple of books, along with a gift card?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2008