Peanut Allergies

Is it reasonable for my husbands family to expect us to not give our kids peanuts/peanut butter because my neice is allergic? She does not live with us, I buy snacks and make her treats that our peanut free at any gatherings and do not allow my children to have any of it around her. But my children love almonds/pistachios/etc. and if they prefer a snack like that over a bag of chips then that is what they will get. I am an RN and I know that severity of this allergy but should I be expected to change my childrens diet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, you should not. And honestly as the child grows older, THEY have to take control of their allergy and LEARN what THEIR limitations are. I had to do that with my allergies - I didn't ask that no fresh tomatoes or that all berry products real or imitation (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry) be eliminated from the school menu or from my relative's diets. I grew to understand what I could and couldn't do.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It is reasonable when you are around her, depending on the severity of the allergy, but to make your home nut free when she isn't around is not a reasonable request.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 8:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oh absolutely! My kids aren't allowed to eat any nut products if we are going to be around her and I always get peanut free b-day cakes for my kids, etc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011