Thrush help needed asap!

I finally put all my daughter's symptoms together last night and I am almost 100% that she has thrush. She has been suffering for four days with it in her mouth and a bad diaper rash that I think maybe linked.
I can't get her into her ped. office today so I am taking her to the local health clinic this afternoon.
Anyone else have a toddler with white spots on the tonuge (it's not milk residue) and a diaper rash that will not go away? She is also having major bowel movements every 2 hours. What can I do to ease her pain until this evening? Thanks!

rcbrown

Asked by rcbrown at 11:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers can have thrush- ANYONE can have thrush. My daughter had thrush at 10 months followed by a diaper rash that turned out to be a yeast infection. Thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth also. You need to see her doctor because they will prescribe an oral antibiotic for her pain and such. Also, they can do blood work to figure out why she is getting yeast infections. I chose not to do blood work. My daughter is 13 months and hasn't had any problems since. GOOD LUCK!
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 1:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Well, I wouldn't be so sure, until you check it out with the Dr. first. But if it is Thrush, the ONLY thing I ever found that worked is something called "Genetian Violet", but you have to ask for it (If they even still make it).. anyway, they gave the grandkids all Nystatin.. It takes a lot longer to work. Usually though, it's found more in infants than toddlers.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have never heard of a toddler having thrush?
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I don’t understand what these people are talking about I took my 15 month old into the doc because she did not fill good and they checked her for thrush but I would not be so fast to say that that is what it is. you need to wait till you go to the doc. but I have herd that if you put ice in there mouth that that will help with the pain so if she likes ice you are in business
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• ANYONE can have thrush. Probiotics will help, also the Gentian violet, but it is very messy.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Absolutely anyone can have it. I occasionally get it a little when I use my advair inhaler for asthma and I don't rinse out my mouth completely after every use. Also, my kids used to get the bad diaper rash kind whenever they would eat yogurt while they were in diapers. Once they were potty trained, they can eat all the yogurt they want without a problem. The docs always prescribed Nystatin (for me too) and it doesn't taste bad at all. They prescribed a Nystatin ointment for the rash, and it would go away quickly. Good luck!!
    lilpunk77

Answer by lilpunk77 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• THANK YOU LADIES! THE DOCTOR DID CONFIRM IT WAS THRUSH. THANKS AGAIN!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 12:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008