Is being gay a deadly sin?

AS I see it, the 7 deadly sins are:
Anger
greed
Sloth
Lust
Pride
Envy
Gluttony

So why do people treat being gay as if it were a deadly sin?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No, it is not a sin at all.........the practice of homosexuality is as real as the practice of heterosexuality, is part of who we are and what we are and there is no God out there who would say loving someone is sinful.

Answer by older at 8:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'm always especially interested in that gluttony one. The amount of salt and calories in the average McDonald's Happy Meal or Value Meal would qualify, so there's a lot of people qualifying on that one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If this is based on this post- I think you are taking it out of context:

I think it's a sin yes--but no more of a sin than gluttony, or greed, or any of the other "7 deadlies".

I think she was saying its no more of a sin than other sins- I don't think she was saying it was one of the 7 deadly sin- Her post was very well written and she went on to say she is no better or no worse than anyone else-

I do not consider homosexuality a sin- but I kinda feel like your post (if based on her post- she is the only one I saw that referenced the 7 deadlies) takes what she said out of context-

And SHANE- not even sure where to go with your post except to remind you that not all Christians are bible literalists and I firmly believe God intends for all of his children that do no harm to others to be able to practice their free will as they see fit without judgment and with equality- He loves all of His children-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I personally don't think that homosexuality is a sin at all, never-mind being a "deadly" sin, lol. To be honest, I think God cares more when people are being hateful, especially when they use His name to justify or endorse it. I think He wants us to love one another, and that He doesn't judge that love. Those who fail to be loving, those who use His name or the religion based on Him to act in an unloving way, miss the point and are in the wrong, not those who love freely and unconditionally and without bias or reserve. At least, IMO...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• "God hates the the practice of homosexuality, NOT the homosexual."
    I'm sorry, but the God I believe in doesn't hate ANYTHING. Hate is a vice even we know we should rise above, I can't believe that God Himself would be subject to such faults, to things even we know aren't right...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If I thought it was a deadly sin then I guess I would justify it by saying that it would be considered giving in to lust. But I don't think that personally. I don't think being gay is a sin, or living your life as a gay person, since I don't see how being born a certain way can, in and of itself, be sinful. Anyway, I think judging and condemning others is a bigger sin to be worried about.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• .just go to a Mall and watch families walk by with food and drinks in their hands and they are all grossly obese. THAt is gluttony if you really want to discuss the 7 Deadly Sins. LOL. Really....we all commit sins. --

pride being one of them, right??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Homosexual acts are considered sin... if you are not practicing it then you are not gay nor a homosexual.
    fornication acts is also considered sin... if you are not practicing it then you are not a fornicator
    adultery acts is sin... if you are not practicing it then you are not an adulterer
    I think you get the picture. :-)
    >>>>>
    Homosexuality is a sexual identity, not an act. You can be homosexual and not act on it, just as you can be heterosexual and not act on it.
    When I'm not having sex, I'm still a heterosexual. When a gay person is not having sex, they are still homsexual
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I can find nothing inherently sinful in a mutual loving, committed relationship between adults.
    revmomus

Answer by revmomus at 11:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• older .. if it is part of who we are then please explain to me why God only created a female for companionship for Adam?
    Why is it that all through out the Word of God , He speaks about marriage between a man and a woman? Lastly .. why is Jesus waiting for a bride rather than a bridegroom?

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

*******************
    I am not Older, but I just have to say that in my lifetime I have never heard that "Jesus is waiting for a Bride"...and,after much higher education and the strength to question what has been touted as a "Bible" I see no reason to believe that there were ever two real humans known as Adam and Eve....They ARE just symbols,part of an elaborate FICTION.
    ANd a Gay or Lesbian is still gay and lesbian even if they NEVER have sex.And it is not a sin.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011