Most horrible rice cooker EVER!

Ok, so my SO is Asian & LOVES RICE! I mean he grew up with an Asian mom (obviously LOL) that kicks ass at cooking Asian food, lol She makes that sticky rice & stuff. She actually has a rice machine. It's crazy. He loves to eat rice with EVERYTHING & I am SOOOOOOOO horrible at making it. It's either too liquidy, not done all the way or too done. I even try to follow the directions on the package. LOL He is def not with me for my cooking skills. So he doesn't get on me or anything like that. He actually thinks it's cute, but I love him very much & want to please him in every way possible. I'd ask his mom to teach me, but I can't for two reasons #1 the main reason she hates me bc I'm not Asian. LOL #2 I can't understand a word she says & she gets angry when I can't understand her, which isnt my fault. Ya know ?

Any tips on cooking rice that I should know about ? lol He's used to kick ass rice & I want to be able to provide that for him. LOL

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I am just like you, horrible at cooking rice. I bought a rice cooker "aroma professional" is the brand. It works wonders! I swear. But in the meantime, my grandma says 2 cups water 1 cup rice, once it hits a boil, put on simmer and always use a fork to stir the rice!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 8:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• follow directions on package and DON'T lift lid while cooking.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Major mistake with Rice is lifting the lid to stir it while cooking.....DON'T!!!!! We personally cook it in the microwave....it comes out nice and sticky, but you have to put a plastic "plate" under it to catch the spill over.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sweet !! Thank You!!! See they have a rice cooker that my SO actually brought back with him from Asia! LOL Before him, I never really made rice. LOL
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• This is close to the rice cooker I use at home. Mine has the steaming tray, but is a 7-cup uncooked rice maker. The hanug up though is that you have to use the included little cup that is 160 mL (about 3/4 cup) to get that full amount. So it's a little misleading, but I really could care less. I very rarely use the full capacity.

If you get this cooked pay close attention to the water/rice ratio. The manual I have is backward

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My LP is Japanese, but thankfully eats like an purebred American LOL. His mom makes some of the most amazing food, and he wont eat most of it. I second the idea of buying a good rice cooker. You can make quite a bit at a time and it comes out better.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• rice cooker is key. Try reading the manual, or see if you can google it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011