my seven year old throws massive fits over stupid stuff.... how do i make her stop?

my seven year old is the middle child and is the only one that has ever thrown fits like these... the fits are loud & long.... i showed her how to open the garage door so she could get her bike out (my 3 year old son knows how to do this..) and then i shut the door and told her to open it. she put her hands on the lock and then thrw them to her side and said.."see mommy i cant do it" so i told her "then you dont need your bike." i understand she was furstated but she threw her self on the ground flopping around screamig. i have a rule chart in my house and when a rule is broken my children have to write that rule 100 times.. this was working for a few months but now it has stopped working. she is in track thru kids inc so i started telling her that if she is going to act this way then i will not take her to practice, which she loves to do, but this too has failed me. i am at the end of my rope and dont know what else to d

momof3.1980

Asked by momof3.1980 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Momma if you figure it out PLEASE let me know. My SON is 7 1/2 and does very similar things. If his little sister doesn't play his skewed game the way HE wants HER to play it out come the water works. It drives me absolutely crazy!!!

You're NOT alone, if that helps.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Walk away........you did right by telling her she didn't need her bike. When she throws herself down....walk away. EVEN in the middle of the store.
    I think I'd still take her to practices...you don't want her to think she can join something and if she doesn't like it revert back to fits.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I will be following this post as I am the mother of a DD that will be 7 this July
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• hahah yes as soon i figure it out i will let you know......................... and to brypmom.. i do walk away most of the time but she will start kicking the walls and making it sound like i'm killing her and .. lol sometimes she'll make you want too. that is when i drag her outside to the yard and tell her if she wants to ack like a crazy person then she can do it out side where ppl can watch her an they wont think i'm killing her.... i cant take it anymore. her teachers say she is very well behaved but at home she acts crazy... uggh!!
    momof3.1980

Comment by momof3.1980 (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Honestly if she wants to act like a baby she can be treated like one. Babies don't get to ride bikes. They don't get to go outside and play with friends. They don't get to watch tv nor may video games.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I feel you momof3 - my middle ds - once was so out of it one day he was red and shaking we couldn't unclench his fist. I know alot of ppl may say something about "taking her outside" but I did it too! Keep the consistency going....and believe me she will always have the mid child syndrome but it eases.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My daughter is 5 and LOVES to pull the "I can't" crap. I do pretty much exactly what you do...whatever it is she "can't do" she doesn't need to do. When it is obvious that she really could have done it herself, that is.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My eight year old daughter pulls some of that stuff. I have a time out chair which she sits in for eight minutes. Super Nanny has the kids on her tv program sit one minute for however old they are. After she's done I talk to her about it and she hates it but it keeps her from doing as much stuff. If she's still being a pain i suggest that maybe talking to her teacher would help me with suggestions which puts an end to it because she's usually so good. I talked with my children's pediatrician about it and he said that it's prob due to a lack of iron because they don't get as much at this age and their vitamins don't include it. So i make sure to have my oldest eat more and drink more water. seems to help. sometimes naps help as well. Good luck everyone!
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 9:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• hewllo guess what i have one of those to my child is 12 he doesnt believe i will do anything do dispiline him he has homeschool which he needed because of how he acts now he feels he doesnt have to do that either so maybe you and i could work together to find help ,iam sorry i wish i could answer that myself let me know if you find anything thank you have a good day much love and peace from dawn. at dawnmariecole54@gmail.com
    sunshine961

Answer by sunshine961 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Walk away from her. Take her favorite toys, tv, etc.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011