Have any of you been to Cuba?

I am obsessed with that Island and I either want to visit with friends or hubby but I really want to go.

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Travel

• Well, being that I am American - bit hard for me to travel there, but I'd have loved to visit during its heyday BEFORE Castro drug it through the wringer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I as born in Cuba, the Island is very beautiful (or was) now you as a tourist only get to see the Cuba they want you to see not the real one with dilapidated buildings, falling apart and this is where the population lives.  The natives are not even aloud to visit those hotels that only the tourist get to enjoy.  So please if you care about humanity find another Island to leave your money in, this money will never reach the average man, but stay with in the compounds of the regime, while the natives starve to death.

Answer by older at 8:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• at older, I was thinking of not really visiting so much the beach or resorts, but I do want to stay in a casa particular and visit with the local people of Cuba : )
    MexTexmom2

Comment by MexTexmom2 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes I have and I loved it . If you need McDonalds, shopping and all the trappings of suburbia, forget it , but the absence of crass commercialiam is part of its charm. There were no restricyion on travelling around , we took the local buses , not the pricey excursions laid on for tourists , and had a ball. For all that the people are not wealthy, they were more smiling and friendly than people i encounter when I am out at home or visiting another town .

I would like to go there again someday. . Havana has not been ruined by redevelopment, I found it charming and it is not as dilapidated as the centres of some American cities.

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Canadians are allowed to visit.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011