Never bathing,changing clothes,cleaning the house. Is this a mental illness?

My mother has always done this in one form or fashion her whole life,from the extreme to not as bad. When anyone brings up these things to her in a nice concerned way,she gets REALLY pissed! She went out to lunch with us on Saturday,and she stank! My aunt,my cousin and I went over to her house yesterday to help her clean her house and get organized and it took me over an hour to clean the bathroom. It was NASTY! It looked like it was never cleaned. In fact the whole house was disgusting.

My mom will wear the same clothes for a week(underwear and socks included). When I offer to take her laundry home she either refuses or she'll give me like 3 outfits worth. I don't get it. She isn't so old that she's in dementia,and like I said,she's always been this way. She has the means to keep herself and her home clean. Short of dragging her into the tub,I don't know what to do. I worry about this nastiness affecting her health.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• it might be mental illness or she might just be an untidy person or, she might be very depressed.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• DEPRESSION!!! All classic signs!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Has your Mom ever been evaluated for mental illness? Does she work? Can she manage her money? If any of these areas are a concern you may need to consider calling adult protective services. If her behavior, or lack of behavior is threatening her health or safety. It's a hard thing to consider. How does she react to people coming in an cleaning or moving things in her home? Does she get anxious, nervous, upset? All signs there is more going on there than just lack of hygiene.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes, LIFELONG DEPRESSION - It becomes a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE in the brain and if untreated can become a horrible pit of dispair. Instead of coming on here griping about it, TAKE YOUR MOTHER TO A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL FOR AN EVALUATION!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• just lazy?
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• While reading your post I thought about the people I see on Hoarders.....I'm wondering does she have hoarding tendencies...doesnt throw ANYTHING away, collects "junk" as her "treasures".....things like that.....
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• could be depression
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 8:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• sounds like depression. Maybe see if she'll see a dr.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Depressed and maybe lonely? Maybe you could get her a small housetrained dog or cat.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 8:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• sounds like depression to me....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2011