Father and Daughter in bath together adult content

I share custody with my ex and my daughter was with him all last week for spring break. Today she informed me how she took a bath with her father completely nude and with her baby half brother who is 6 months old. My daughter is 7.5 in first grade and I could not help but find this completely inappropriate. I am fine with her taking a bath with her baby brother but a grown man!? Am I correct to assume this is wrong and how do you speak to your daughter and ex regarding this? I know he did not mean it in an inapropriate way but to me this is common sense.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ati 13, unfortunately, as the original poster just said, it's not her mother who has influence...again, it's our society. All she needs to do is tell a friend she bathed with her dad, a neighbor, an aunt or uncle, and suddenly there is a lot more reaction...again, it really has to do with what's appropriate in the culture that you live in.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At 7 1/2, I don't think she should be bathing with anyone else....even the baby brother. It's really time for her to be learning about privacy. I can see the baby brother, although as I said, I think it's time to be ending that, but definitely not the dad.....totally over the line.

I think it's fine for pre-schoolers to bathe together, but by the time their school age, they need to be understanding privacy....it actually will help them to protect themselves better.

I think it depends on the kind of relationship you have with your ex, but it's definitely time to talk to him about this. He really shouldn't need to be told that this is inappropriate!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• That's wrong on so many levels i don't know where to start.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't think any little girl should be seeing ANY penis.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 8:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• In cultures where nudity is normal of course they adjust fine, that is normal. In our culture it isn't normal & because of that it can have a negative affect on a child to be put in that situation.

There are lots of cultural differences in this world....things that work in one culture, don't fit in another culture....we've all developed differently. When we move from one place to another place...especially one very different, we all have adjustments to make to become part of the society that we are living in. There are cultures that make their women cover up entirely & in those cultures that is normal, although it seems to be changing & cultures that don't allow their girls to go to school & that has been normal.

Whether it's ideal for nudity to be normal isn't the issue....the fact is that in our society it isn't appropriate. I don't think we should teach our kids to be ashamed of their bodies, but privacy is normal here.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• oh my gosh I can't believe howmany actually think this is ok. I can understand saying it is ok seeing a dad getting dressed however we are trying to teach our 6 year old not to walk in on daddy while in the shower or getting dressed I believe at a certin age they shouldn't see the opposite sex, but I don't think they should be in the bath together that is just weird and I can't believe how many think it is ok.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• yes that is inappropriate!!!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It's a statement of fact - there are lots of cultures that don't have the hang-ups about nudity that ours does. Vote it down if you like, but it doesn't change reality.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• wayyy wrong , talk with him he knows better - how could he not
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• my bio dad has a dd now 17 he is devorced her mom. He slept in the same bed as her until she was 14 I thought was weird. Then he took a bath with her UNTIL SHE WAS 12 or 13 I so thought that was weird and even then at 15 he would have her come talk to her in the bathroom while he was taking a bath. That is why I don't let him watch my girls just cause that is strange to me. My step mom doesn't say anything about it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011