Really Dislike Friend's Husband

I became good friends with one of the moms whose daughter goes to tumbling/dance/cheer with my daughter. The girls like each other and get along very well together. This started three years ago and all has went well...until this year.

My friend has been working odd hours so her husband more often than not brings his daughter and, because I'm good friends with his wife, he will sit and talk to me.....which I would be okay with if I liked him. He throws the F word around like it's candy and so obviously certainly does not mind throwing around any other curse word. He talks about extremely inappropriate things (heard about fingers in butt crack this evening). He's very crass and crude and quite honestly I cringe thinking about having to listen to him.

So I'll make up reasons to run to the store or do this or that while the girls are in class, but lo and behold, as soon as I get back and go into the building to wait the last few minutes for the class to end (you are expected to be there 5 minutes before class ends), he runs in behind me talking away.

I don't want to be rude because I do really like his wife, but I do not want to deal with this guy. Advice?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• That is a rather sad situation. Sorry. :/ I don't really see any way to avoid him without potentially offending his wife and obviously you don't want to confront him. Perhaps you could mention to his wife next time you see her, just casually and in passing, that her husband swears rather a lot or something along those lines. But that might not even help matters. Maybe you could ignore his cursing but start a conversation with him about "people generally" and how it's not appropriate to use certain language in the presence of kids, or even just ask him what he thinks about children picking up foul language from their parents or other adults. Just try to work it into the conversation. Probably won't work without him feeling offended though, hey. Sorry, not much help.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• earbuds? Be on the phone?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• That is a tough spot to be in.If it was me I would talk to my friend and in a very kind way tell her that I am very uncomfortable with the way her hubby talks and uses so many swear words.Then I would hope that she understands and if she gets angry then I would figure that our friendship was not meant to be.
    I understand how you feel as I don't enjoy talking to someone that has to use foul language to get their point across.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree, with P.P. ♥♥♥♥♥♥
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you really like his wife, you may just have to put up with it. Have you thought of going in the ladies bathroom while you are waiting?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You just might have to lose a friend. I would talk to the wife and be also kind as possible. Good luck!
    cece5000

Answer by cece5000 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2011