Drinks at dinner.....how do you do it?

My kids are pretty grown and get their own drinks at dinner now...but I do babysitting here and there. My way of doing things was to get them to the table, they start eating I go get their drinks (milk/water when younger). I had a mom tell me today her daughter HAS to have a drink with her meal. When I explained my way of doing things....she wanted to know why her dd can't have a drink ready on the table? She sounded pissy about it....

Do you have drinks ready? Once they've started eating? When they are done eating? Or when they ask for one?

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 8:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I had the drink waiting at the table my kids would fill their bellies up on that!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My 4 yr old I set her food down, call her to the table then ask her if she wants water or milk (I don't allow her to have juice).....she picks...I give it to her lol...the mom you are dealing with sounds like maybe she just likes having things to complain about...having a drink during your meal doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me

Good luck mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• oh also I use that 2-3 minutes to figure out what to give them. usually water but if it's a calcium lacking meal I'll do milk.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have the drink ready when he is ready to eat
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I wait until they ask, I would rather wait until they are done eating but that just doesn't happen. Hubs has the drinks on the table before we all sit down. Different cooks different nights - no absolute set in stone way at our house.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My DD is 17 months old, she gets a drink about 1/2 way thru, if she is eating good. If she's poking around, I don't give her one until she gets down.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 9:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We always have drinks WITH dinner. I cannot eat a meal without a drink right with me.

As for the child you watch, if mom prefers her DD to be allowed a drink with her food, I'd just allow it. It's her kid. ::shrugs::
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We do it the way you do! They sit we make the drinks, we sit, pray then eat!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2011