Dental work on baby teeth?

My boys had an appt. the other day and my youngest has a really bad tooth in the back that needs a crown, it will be about 556 for the work and two visits. My other child has two cavities it another 200 or so. Am I the only one who thinks it kind of waste of money to have all this work done on teeth that are going to fall out? Someone please tell me why ?

greenbeanmoma

Asked by greenbeanmoma at 9:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• it's an investment on their medical health and future teeth.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• But how and why?
    greenbeanmoma

Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The health off their baby teeth can affect the health of their gums and adult teeth.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well wouldnt it be better to just pull the back teeth?
    greenbeanmoma

Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• if you just have it yanked instead of crowned, you'll need to have a spacer cemented in.... also pricey. If you skimp on THAT and don't do a spacer, the teeth will shift and block out the permanent tooth. Then later on will need EXTENSIVE orthodontics to create space and have that tooth pulled up which is a long, very costly, and often painful process.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The mentality of people that say "just b/c they're baby teeth and they will fall out anyway" is astounding to me....I have been in surgery where an 18 month old had every tooth extracted except 4....do you think it's fair for that child to go ALL through school and not have any teeth??? The adult teeth lay JUST below the baby teeth..that decay will work its way into the adult teeth and the kid will need dentures by the time they are 18!! I've seen it happen!! and YES, I think it's worth the money. That's what pediatric dentists are there for. It's a lot cheaper to buy toothpaste and a toothbrush. My daughter is 2 1/2 and I brush her teeth 2 times a day AND she flosses...been to the dentist 2 times already with perfect checkups....Im sorry if I sound harsh, but I thnk it's completely selfish and unfair for a parent to let their kids teeth rot. I've been on the other end of it so much and I don't think kids should go thru that.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Why get a crown? Have them put that tooth putty on it's a resin and works JUST as well as a crown and is a 2/3 cheaper than a crown it's just going to fall out anyways!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• JUST PULL THE BACK TEETH???? Do you know what would happen if you did that???? The gaps in their mouth would be herendous...The childs mouth would be damaged and not develop correctly.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My son has bad baby teeth... and his first dentist did tons of work. I followed blinded because I thought I was being a good mother. Now he's 10 and his teeth are still not that wonderful ( not for lack of trying) and I took him to a new dentist. She told me "as a dentist he should have (xyz) work done". Then she said "as a mother, I would leave them unless they are bothering him because there going to fall out soon anyway." I appreciated her honestly cause my son has two dental insurances and I'm sure she could have taken me for a ride but she was wonderful about it. (by the way I was totally prepared to follow blindly again) I would have another conversation with your dentist to find out the necessity of this work.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If a tooth has a bad enough cavity it can go into the root and gum and affect the adult tooth. Unless the tooth with the cavity is already loose you should have the work done. Does your state have a children's health program? Most states have health plans for children whose parents make too much money for medicaid. You can call your local medicaid office and they'll let you know. InTexas they have CHIPS, I only pay $50.00 a year for all 5 of my children and very small copays for office visits and medication.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011