child is chocking herself

my dd is almost 17 mo and i need to stop her choking herself some times she pukes when she does it what do i do to stop it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Kids' Health

• how is she choking herself?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Is she choking when you feed her or just out of the blue?!

I worked for a family as a nanny and their kids (twins) did that on purpose. They were choking until they puked only to get attention. The mother didnt really give a damn about them. It was really sad.

Dont get me wrong, Im NOT saying thats whats going on with your kids, because i dont know you, nor your kids.

There must be a reason why your daughter is choking, either because of the food or maybe she has a problem with her esophagus. Talk to your pediatrician about it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If she's pushing things in her throat, she might just be exporing the new feeling. My daughter did this right around the time she turned one. She would choke on spoons, fingers, toys. Whatever she could put in her mouth. I ignored it and it went away. The more the reaction you give, the more fun it will be for the child. Also consider that she may be getting her molars in and just trying to get something back there to soothe the pain. Definately bring it up with the doc at her next visit. You don't want her to continue to throw up since that can cause damange.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i agree with ferdo0204. she pretty much said everything i was going to say. =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would agree with ferdo0204 and pugmama. She seems to old to choke herself out of frustration in not communicating. However, I would see a doctor regarding the throwing up. The acids and inflammation can be damaging her esophagus and can start becoming sore for her.  Then you have a not so happy baby.

2Blessings8

Answer by 2Blessings8 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Do you mean she is gagging herself? I think all kids do this. All of mine did and my 2 year old boy still does it once in a while and thinks it's the funniest thing ever. Just exploring and a phase that will pass....even though it's annoying and a little gross.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Choking or gaging...gaging is different..like putting her fingers down her throat. A normal phase I am afraid..she will stop eventually.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008