5yo DD in Pull-Ups at Night

I listened to what everyone told me...don't even bother night-time potty training until she wakes up dry because that means her bladder isn't ready and she isn't mentally old enough to wake herself up to go potty. Well, I listened and listened and listened and now DD is 5 (and 2 months) and still wears Pull-Ups at night because she has NEVER woken up dry.

So tonight I said heck with it. She's wearing panties to bed. I bought those pad things to protect the mattress and I told her that she needs to use the potty instead of going in her pants. I went crazy telling her what a big girl she's going to be, blah, blah, blah. And I plan to wake her up every couple of hours and drag her to the bathroom.

Now, after she's in bed and asleep, I'm second guessing myself. Is it true that if they don't wake up dry, they aren't ready for night-time potty training? Or is that darn Pull-Up just giving her reasons to not wake up and go herself? I've brought it up to her Ped at her 5 year check-up and he just said basically to do what I started tonight. Ugh......

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• another REALLY good suggestion (we did this w/ my daughter because she is a very sound sleeper) is figure out her 1/2 way point of sleep. like if she typically goes to bed around 8 and wakes up around 8am her 1/2 way point is about 2am. set your alarm for 2am and walk her to the toilet. if she's really out of it you might have to carry her to the toilet. don't worry about turning lights on, scouring hands w/ soap (a diaper wipe works in a hurry) if you do this it'll take from start to finish like 10 minutes (or much less) TOPS ..... a fraction of the time/energy it would take to wash a dirty kid and dirty bed in the morning. a week or so and she should be trained on her own to get up and go (if she needs to)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• whatever time you're serving dinner right now, pull it back 30 minutes. and other than brushing teeth nothing by mouth afterwards.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• we are in the same shoes. 5 and in goodnights. She was doing pretty well (i thought) for a while but she was being sneaky and tossing the blankets over the wet spot and changing PJs. back into the pullup she went. we started a sticker chart for days and nights with different "rewards" for each. if she can make it all week dry at night she gets to help make muffins on sunday morning.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I found that nothing I did made any difference. My son wasn't ready until his body was. You can wake her, and you might catch her before she goes. But you will just drive yourself crazy. A pull up until she wakes up dry by herself is the best thing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Super nanny says take them potty without talking to them around 11pm. Also once she wakes up in wet sheets she may just have it enough to "teach" herself.
    aprilavenmarg

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 9:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i just cut out drinks 2 hours before my dd went to bed. she hasn't had an accident since she was 3. i think the pull ups may hold her back because she knows she can be lazy thats what happened when i potty trained her once the pull ups were gone she didnt have any accidents. i had accidents until i was 7 but only if i had late night drinks lol i think its good that you encouraged her and made her feel like its a big girl step just dont be upset if she does have an accident she might be very upset if she doesnt make it.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 9:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My DD turned 5 at the end of March. She wears night time Pull Ups and maybe once a week wakes up dry. *Maybe* DH wakes her up about an hr to an hrs and half after she goes to bed to potty.
    I talked to her Pediatrician about it who basically said that if we want to continue to wake her up fine but it isn't proven to help her stay dry or make her night time potty train any faster! That her bladder has to be fully developed in order for her to be able to know when it is time to potty. We are going to keep doing what we are doing.
    Is there a family history?
    Do you think she is just being lazy and not wanting to take herself to go potty? I had a friend who had a DD that was 4 and convinced she was just being lazy. She took her to the store and said if she stayed dry for a wk she would buy her this certain toy. Guess what?? She woke herself up from that day forward and hasn't wet the bed since!!
    Best of luck!!!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Hold off on letting her drink a lot before bed. Make her potty before bed. Sometimes I will get up and wake my son up in the middle of the night to go. This has eliminated peeing in the bed.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My daughter turned 5 Oct 11th, and on Halloween, my SIL was babysitting and forgot to give her a pull up. She woke dry (she rarely woke dry when wearing pull ups) and has of course had a handful of accidents, but my point is, she wasn't ready until she was 5. I really think it's a matter of bladder maturity. If she wakes up dry, praise her and try again. If not, then *I* would probably continue pull ups a bit longer, and try again in another month or so, and just keep doing that until she's ready. If YOU are ok with her using the pull ups, then continue, if not, try waking her during the night to go to the bathroom.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Limit evening drinks, make her pee before bed- I'm sure you know all this, but just covering the basics. Pull ups are kind of a great excuse to not try real hard to potty else where . I've never used them. When I potty trained my kids, I let them pee in undies so they knew, "oh ok- I can't do that anymore, it makes a mess mommy makes me clean up!" LOL It worked on my two oldest and it's fixing to be done with my almost 2 and a half year old. So... She could legitamately have a bed wetting problem. Check out www.onestepahead.com and enter "bed wetting" in the search field. There's an item call the Kids' Bedwetting Night trainer" It's had some rave reviews and I've recommended the site to many others. I buy products from this company alot and they are fantastic. Could be worth looking into later on if what you're doing now doesn't work out well. Good Luck!! :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011