Feeling overwhelmed, my 2.8 yr old wants to touch my 1 day old constantly

My daughter has visited us at the hospital and she is all about her little sister. She wants me to change her diaper every two minutes and pats the newborns head like we pat the dogs. How do I keep her involved yet keepnthe baby safe? How do I make sure I have alone time with the newborn without making my toddler feel excluded at specific times? I'm so scared I just want to stay at the hospital.

aprilavenmarg

Asked by aprilavenmarg at 9:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her touch her. Just tell her to be gentle. Tell her not to touch her head, but touch her back or feet. The novelty will wear off.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At least she is excited...you don't want to ruin that and make her feel replaced. It can be a bit of a balance. You have to watch her around the baby, BUT still ask her to help with the things she can do...i.e. help me wrap baby up...let her hold the baby with both of them on your lap where you can still be the one "actually" holding the baby..."give the baby kisses", etc. When you have to put the baby down to do dishes or something, put the baby in the swing/bouncer, and ask your "big girl" to help you with what you are doing. Keep them separated unless supervised for a little while...but babies become durable very quickly, and big sister will also learn what you can and cannot do with a baby quickly too.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Tell her that the babies head has a soft spot on it and it is not safe to touch it unless you have too. Let her hold her hand gently. Tell her the Baby gets changed only when Mommy says its time and you will do it. That is Mommy's job. Then for one on one time for Baby and older child needs to be put on a chart so she can see that you are aware that she is still special too. She may be acting over acting because she feels confused about all the fuss over the new Baby. Do not worry she will clam down. Tell her she can help with putting the Pampers in the Garbage and let her hand you things. She needs to be included with the Babies activities.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Get her a like the life size baby dolls and tell her this is you baby!! And let her do the same thing like you dowith new baby.
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Getting her a baby doll is a great idea. And make sure she has one on one time with you and your SO when the baby comes home. Make it about her for awhile so she doesn't feel replaced and see all attention go to the baby.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2011