Hodo I get comfertable nuring the baby infront of people or out in public?

I plan on nursing, but the thing is what if I am at someones house how do I feel right about comfertable? I mean I can't even think of doing it in front of my mom or oviously my dad, but what if I go to visit? How do I just open up and nurse? I know I will have a blanket over me, but I still feel weird about it. What about out in public with people looking at me funny?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I excuse myself to another room. I pump and take bottles with me for public places. It is the best of both worlds while still giving just breast milk.
    aprilavenmarg

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 9:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• When at my mother in law's or something, I would go into a quiet room. At my dad's I just covered myself up and felt very comfortable. You get used to it. I remember once a relative came over and lifted the blanket and was like Hi baby! LOL! DIdn't know what I was doing I guess??
    Anonymous

• A lot changes after you have to start "exposing" yourself at the hospital and what not. I was very shy about it, until I actually started nursing. Magically I just didn't care. Of course I felt better with a blanket covering myself, but this time I doubt I'll even care about that lol. Just go with it, after you have the baby you may what to excuse yourself to go nurse, but after awhile going in the other room very few hours isn't much fun.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I bought something called a Peanut Shell. It is a cover that you put on around your neck like an apron and you dont have to worry about it falling off. It also has a space at the top to look down at the baby so you dont have to pull it open like a blanket. I used it for all my boys and loved it. It may just take some time to get comfortable nursing around others. i do it all the time.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At first I used a cover that looped around my neck. After my daughter and I became more comfortable with nursing I just used a thin blanket to cover her (or mostly my boob) while she ate. Sometimes I would go into another room- like when my 4 year old SIL started taking one of her dolls and a blanket and started to "breastfeed" it... it was really cute- but I think it made my In-laws a little uncomfortable...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I nursed wherever I was. I wore belly bands to cover my belly while I would nurse, a nursing bra, and then just lifted a corner of my shirt. Practice in front of a mirror if you are worried about hanging out. I had so many people come up and comment on the baby, etc while I nursed and never knew that was what was happening. I think the more you do it, the more comfortable you get.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you are not comfortable with it don't do it. You might find after nursing for a bit that it doesn't make you as uncomfortable as you think though.

I nursed mine in front of family and it didn't bother me or them, but this was family that nursed as well.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• In public go to a public restroom .At home. You can also go in your parents house, in the room you sleep in or the restroom.
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Nobody on either side of the family ever breastfed, so I had some akward moments while breastfeeding DD. Nobody ever said anything about it, just vibes. I'd just excuse myself & go to a quiet room. My mom was the only one I breastfed in front of. She never did it but she completely supported my decision & always made sure I was comfortable while feeding! I preferred being in a quiet space to enjoy the bonding anyways.

In public, I didn't care. Breastfeeding is natural & I didn't care how people looked at me. I didn't know anyone I saw & I knew I'd probably never see them again anyways. People have the choice not to look.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I went upstairs in a bedroom and shut the door. Or I gave them bottles while we were out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011