How to be sure I am not going to dry up when I start nursing.

ok I nursed my first in the hospital, but noone shouwed me what to do and noone brought her to me to feed unless I asked for her. Well when I brought her home she wouldn't latch on and it was frsuterdating so I just went out got formula and gave up. My second I was in so much pain (problems with the epidural) I didn't get to nurse half the time in the hospital and then I had a blood patch done so I couldn't nurse for 3 hours and again noone showed me what to do. I then had to go to the er the day after coming home so my mom and sister watched my then 2.5 year old and 3 day old baby so of course I didn't have any milk pumped and had to give her formula I only nursed for 3 weeks and I dried up. I regreat not being able to nurse. So this time I really want to nurse so how do I keep at it? How to I not quiet? Also how do I make sure I am not going to dry up this time around? How can I find someone that can help me with nursing? I forget what it is called.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Check out your local Le Leche League. They are a good resource. And when you're in the hospital ask to speak to the lactation consultant.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well I would call both the local health dept (they usually have lactation specialists who come free of charge) and the local La Leche league.

As for drying up, the more you nurse the more milk you produce. As baby grows bigger and hungrier, he or she will drink up your supply then suckle a little longer (not getting much but telling your body to make more next time. And it does.

I think one of the biggest reasons to not quit would be reading up on all the benefits! it is liquid GOLD! There are SOOO many positive reasons do nurse. Good luck!!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Every hospital has a nursing specialist. Ask them to come in and talk to you and it is free. Also most bigger areas have La Leche Leagues and they can help too.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• also if you have a county health department, that is what they do.. "they kind of obsess about breast feeding.." lol they will not stop till you know you r comfortable with it. also, in the hospital, you can ask for a breast feeding consultant or instructor. if you ask for one, they should have one come into the room and work with you. and about drying up, if u drink plenty and eat healthy and nurse your baby often, you should have no problems producing.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Nurse on demand, whenever and for however long baby wants. Until nursing is well established, no bottles of anything (except of course in the case of emergency, like when you had to go to ER...pump while apart if at all possible, upon your return, nurse only, no bottles). Seek out your local La Leche League and go to their meetings, educate yourself on how to nurse before baby comes, and get acquainted with the LLL members and leaders, so should you have trouble when you deliver, you have someone you can call to help. It is unlikely to just dry up out of nowhere, with no outside influence, intended or not.

Question about this: "I then had to go to the er the day after coming home so my mom and sister watched my then 2.5 year old and 3 day old baby so of course I didn't have any milk pumped and had to give her formula I only nursed for 3 weeks and I dried up."
    After the ER visit during which baby got bottles, in the 3
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• in the 3 weeks that you nursed, did baby get any bottles? That can contribute to lowered supply. But the past is the past. Nurse on demand, and count diapers to know if baby is getting enough, that's the only way to tell. And ask questions! Get specific if you need to. I know that I enjoy sharing the information I know, and trying to help others.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Also, if you need help, see or speak to an IBCLC, rather then just an LC or Breastfeeding Counselor, sometimes it makes all the difference!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Rule 1- while in labor, or OR Prep fpr C-section tell EVERYONE you want the baby immediatly for nursing. If they don't bring the baby, ASK FOR THE BABY! Don't be shy, they aren't going to ask you, you have to ask them. Tell them you want a lactation consultant sent to your room asap- sometimes the RN's that come in to check on you will be able to help as well, especially if they've been there themselves. ASK ASK ASK ASK ASK!!!!!! You have to speak up! Tell them you want the baby left in the room all the time unless you tell them otherwise, or they need to check the baby out. You call the shots, not them, so don't let them! Speak up!! As for at home, try to nurse 100% the first 4-6 wks before bottle feeding, that way the baby will get your supply built up enough to pump well. The more often you pump, the more milk you're going to make. It may take a couple days to increase, but don't give up! Just keep pumping and nursing!! GL
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies they have given you some good advice
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• sta622

yes she did get bottles, because like I said I had no milk pumped I was in the er for a few hours. I also couldn't nurse her half the time time at the hospital because of all the pain meds I was on and I had to lay flat on my bacl when I had a blood patch for 3 hours. I was also in so much pain.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2011