Pregnant and moving cross country: any more comfortable way to do this than u-haul?

I'm going to be 34 weeks pregnant, moving from California to Michigan, and we don't have enough stuff to fill a standard moving truck. We'd like to use a Pod or something like that so we can just take our own vehicle, but they don't service our area OR the area we're moving to. We just can't seem to come up with any other options besides renting a u-haul and and a trailer (for our vehicle), but as far as I know, there's nothing especially comfortable about sitting in a u-haul cab for hours and days. Any ideas? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Travel

• Actually, some of the newer model UHauls/Moving trucks are a lot comfier than the old kind (more like a semi). You might look around and see if any of the places around you have something worthwhile.
    Another option is to look into a moving company to move it for you. The only name of one I know is Mayflower, they've moved our stuff a few times. You pack it up and keep an inventory, they sticker each box/item and keep an itemized list, then you check everything off the list when they drop it off. They also do all of the lifting and moving, including putting the boxes where you want them in the new place, not just dumping them in the living room.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Maybe DH goes first, you stay in CA in a hotel, then once he's out there, you fly out there to MI? Best solution I've got.
    Anonymous

• Hope you find an answer. We just did this move, well Wa to Ny but I had to drive my own car while my hubb drove his truck pulling the camper. I had 3 kids and the dog, it really is not as bad as you would think. Just have to make the best if it. I don't think anything is comfortable after driving for 50 hours. Pulling a vehicle behind you would be ideal because then you can switch off driving which is much easier.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• @Anon: Too close to my due date to fly. We're planning to move 6 weeks from my due date. Because my son was born 4 weeks early, I hesitate to fly during the last trimester, and by the time I'm term, I don't think they'll even let me fly.

@Melbornj: I'm actually afraid to drive it because I fall asleep so easily at the wheel! I'm terrible!

@apple: maybe we need to go to a uhaul place and take a look at what they have. THanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Consider flying out there...seriously..for being so far along it's a big risk to be traveling that far with potential "dead spots"..we moved from Arkansas to Washington and had to do a uhaul, and pull our car..and an opportunity came up to potentially move back to Arkansas, and when dh and I talked it over, we decided the best thing to do was to have me fly back with dd so we were only traveling a day...the way we went moving up had so many spots that we didn't get cell service for hours upon hours, and it was out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, look into movers..idk what your moving budget is, but it cost us just as much to move ourselves (if not more)..that way, you can push through and cut the trip down with you and your so driving (one can nap while the other drives and so on), and you have more options that way of stopping when/where you want..depending on uhaul size, you're kind of limited to gas stations/truck stops.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011