why do people who provide daycare services not care for youre child per youre instructions?

they are getting paid this is a job why not listen to the boss. im looking for an occasional sitter maybe only 2-3 hr increments. my son cannot nap or he keeps me up til 4am. the pediatrician said he does not need a nap if a child is at a sitter for 2 hrs why would the person insist he naps it pure laziness. im so irratated. if they cant follow that simple instruction why should i think theyll do anything else i say. the parent is right . am i the only one that feels this way. its like saying my son is allergic to milk(which he is) will they give it to him anyway?

danahake

Asked by danahake at 12:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds to me she is lazy!! I have kids in my home, and i have one kid who is allergic to dairy products, so I have his mother bring mildk and snacks and things that he can eat (i dont want to give him anything that will make him sick), and she prefers me not to give him a nap and i dont! When all my other kids go down he stays up with me, its really not that difficult. I would find a new sitter if i where you.
    Anonymous

• Part of parenting is teaching kids to follow the rules in a given setting. If everyone else naps, it's ok for the daycare to require your child to lay down for quiet time too.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• That does sound like laziness. Is he with a group of kids that have a nap scheduel?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• They better dont give him the milk. But other than that, if you are not satisfied with the sitter, then dont bring your child there. Get a different sitter / daycare. They are suppose to do with your child what you tell them.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If a child is in a daycare it is important the parent check with the center about their policies if they know their child has different needs than other children they care for. It is the right of the center to say that all children must at least rest for a set amount of time after lunch. I do know about wanting your child's center to be cooperative. My son has some special and different needs. But I also had to look for a center that was willing to work with me and were comfortable with my child's particular circumstances.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• As an In Home Day Care Provider and a Mother I can understand what you're dealing with. From a Mom's perspective I know it's frustrating. Now..from a business prospective..I can tell you that I have a Mother that used to bring her child right at nap time. This was difficult for all involved because the 5 other children in my care were just laying down for nap. It's not easy or fair to put the others down while one gets to stay up. The Mother and I worked out a better schedule and her child comes during play time and leaves before nap time.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Cont.....If a child doesn't need a nap they at least need some downtime. For me it's the only time of the day that I can get anything done so I as well need that time since I work in my home..I still have to run my home as well as my business. Is it possible that you could rearrange your time to fit your sitter's schedule? Possibly take your child during play time so you won't have to worry about naps? Just a suggestion. Good Luck.
    happy2bme7

• Cont...As for giving your child milk. I wouldn't worry about that. It's a different issue. I, and I'm sure Day Care Centers are as well, are in this business because we love children AND it's what we do for a living. I have had many children in my care for the past 15 years whom I've dealt with different dietary needs. I would NEVER knowingly give a child something he/she is allergic to. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about with that issue.
    One other thought : ) Yes you are the boss but you are working TOGETHER with your Day Care Provider. It's always best for everyone involved, including your child, to have open communication. If you have a concern ALWAYS discuss it with them as they will always do the same for you.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have worked in a daycare before and its really hard to cater to the needs of 1 child when you have like 4 or 15 others to take care of as well. Now with him not drinking milk that is something that they need to make sure they do regrads less if everbody else is drinking milk. But nap time is a state requirment now if they don't want to take a nap you can't make them but the do have to sit quitly.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 12:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I used to have a child who needed a nap maybe two days out of the week. I would lay him down for QUIET time and let him look at books. Sometimes he would fall asleep anyway. I wouldn't make him sleep but I did enforce the quiet time rule.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2008