Got a call from daycare that DD (2yo) had a temp of 103......should I go to ER?

Well when I picked her up (around 3ish) when we got home I gave her some medicine. Well she seemed to be doing better after her nap, she ate a little bit of soup, crackers and drank water and gatorade. Well it's 1045 p.m. and IT'S BACK! Her eyes are red, she's burning up, has a temp of 103, she's shaking, I guess from the fever, and just looks miserable! I just gave her some tylenol,.....should I take her to the ER, we DID go to the doctors, but she wasn't at all concerned....

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Unless the child has had the fever greater than 24 hours and if the fever is NOT reduced by alternating tylenol/motrin, most pediatricians say not to go to ER. Fever is the bodies way of fighting. PUSH fluids, popcicles, ice chips, very light clothing, only cover with a sheet...no blankets or comforters...the less clothing the better. Luke warm baths. I know as a parent it is hard in this situation, but sometimes kids can pick up some worse things from the ER than what they started with.
    mlawson803

Answer by mlawson803 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• if she was sleeping before you took her temp then wait about half an hour to retake it, if it's rising then maybe the er if it's not rising then you don't need the er. just keep it in check with tylenol or motrin, and give her some cool gatorade to drink. that will help cool her down.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you do not know whats causing the fevers I would go to the ER. If you want to wait at home a little longer try alternating the Tylenol with some Advil every two hours. Also rub her down with some rubbing alcohol it will help bring down the fever. But if she's not better by morning i'd go straight to the ER please.
    rayna_82

Answer by rayna_82 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No. 103 is not that high. DO call the doctor and have them document it but honestly her body is fighting something off. Let is do it's own thing. If she is uncomfortable or cannot sleep, definately give her tylenol and mortion (you can alternate them). Just keep checking her temp, you can wipe her forehead, chest down with lukewarm (not too frigid) water.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• ((didnt notice the shaking bit)) with the children's tylenol & children's motrin she should feel much better. It might help you feel better to take her in, but if the meds bring the temp down and she is able to rest, I think just keep an eye on her temperature.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• DO NOT RUB HER DOWN WITH ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!!!!! The alcohol will be absorbed into her system and make her sick. NEVER do that. Wash her down with lukewarm water. I would watch her overnight and if she still has a fever that high and is shaking, then take her in. They say 3 days with a fever but it also depends on how the child is acting. But NEVER rub her down with alcohol, very dangerous. (and that comes from my sons pediatrician, and 3 doctors that I know personally.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Go to the ER NOW!
    Baby8901

Answer by Baby8901 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011