What price is more fair ?

I am a stay at home mom and I also babysit during the day .

I babysit a 13 year old boy who has down syndrome... Right now I just watch him after school ( I get him off of the bus and he stays here until his mom gets off work) ... It is only about 45 mintues and i get $5 for that - I think that is fine ... some days he doesnt have school or I watch him longer ( if she has to work over or has stuff to do) and i get $5 for the hour... this summer I will be watching him the whole day and I will be getting $40 a day plus she sends him food ... but i think this is an excellent pay ....

My cousins asked if I could start watching her kids .. She has 2 and due soon with her 3rd. the oldest she sneds to daycare and he is going to keep going but she is going to bring her 1 year old here and when the new baby gets to 4 weeks she is going to bring her too.... she is going to pay me $10 per child a day .... and she doesnt send any food or anything 9 I have watched them before she sent them to day care) .... I am thinking of asking more ... maybe like $12 - $15 per kid ...is that too much, am I just spoiled with my other kid ( getting paid so much from the other mom ) ... I mean i will only be getting $10/ day and i have to supply the food - and this little boy is like a bottomless pit lol ... I mean when I have the baby too it wont be so bad because I will be getting $20 ... But I just don;t know... she is taking him out of daycare because it is too expensive... I dont want to ask for more $$ and then her end up taking them somewhere else .... what would you do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Around here daycare costs anywhere from $25-$45 a day and then $10-$15 for a second child. I would ask at least $30 a day for both.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you have to provide food I think you need to ask at least $15 a day
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I babysit for a 2yr old girl, usually 9-4 and get paid $20/day. Her mom usually sends her with lunch and I provide snacks. If you don't want to ask for more because she is family, maybe ask her to bring food.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Since it is family I'd not charge as much as regular home daycares do. I WOULD ask her to provide food though.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Babysitters never get $40 a day, and if it's family, give her a break. She has 3 kids, she doesn't need you asking for more money. I used to watch my sisters kids for free and she didn't bring food, and I was constantly broke, but it's family. The other lady gives you more because her son is disabled, and she's not related to you.
    Baby8901

Answer by Baby8901 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• when is it helping and when is it being taken advantage of?

I could see if you swapped babysitting for each other.

If she's working and making money...what is the difference between you working (watching her child) and making money.

Yes, I would ask her to supply food.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Baby8901 -- yeah she family but we arent close... we see each other at christmas, thanksgiving, easter and maybe if we bump into each other somewhere... she asked me to watch them because my aunt wouldnt do it, she was paying almost $1000 for daycare, her and her husband makes good money ...

i will be watching them for 10-12 hour days ... and by the time I feed him breakfast, lunch and dinner.... that $10 is gone.

I mean of course if we were close and if i would see the kids on a regular basis it would be different...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Tell her to bring the food or you'll have to up the price to cover feeding them. I think that sounds fair.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The 13 yr old child with Down's Syndrome needs more care than normal children his age. I know. I am the mother of one of these children and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Just don't take any more kids in than you think you can possibly handle. Considering you get $40 a day for him and he isn't related. You shouldn't charge your family as much. But I would definitely let your cousins know that more care is required for these kids (depending on the severity) than normal kids. Think about this carefully before you get into something that you may have trouble getting out of.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• 25 bucks a day is more reasonable and what all daycare providers where I live charge. I would tell the mom for 10 a day she needs to provide all the childs meals and snacks otherwise it will be 20 a day. If she doesn't like it she can go pay even more somewhere else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011