Greening my business?

I have a small Internet based mail order business. I live within walking distance of the post office, so I do walk there when I have a manageable amount of orders.

Now I wrap my items in newsprint (been using the sales fliers I get free every week) The boxes and envelopes are reused when possible or are bought in bulk from Staples. They have a line that is made from recycled paper, but I have to add more tape as they don't glue as well as the other brands.

To fill up the nooks and crannies I use shredded paper from my own mail (nothing with important numbers) and from scraps of wrapping paper. I also use old ripped tissue paper, packing peanuts & bubble wrap that I have gotten from people on freecycle or from items I have bought.

My business cards are from vistaprint and are 50% from recycled.

I don't have a paper catalogue anymore.

My inventory is taken to shows in plastic totes and are wrapped for travel with old blankets and my display table's table coverings. My tent is second hand canvas over an easy-up.

To haul my items to the shows I do have to use a truck ( 35 cartons plus a 20X20 tent is over 300 lbs) but I only use the truck for the shows and take the quickest route I can find.

I do have to travel up to six hours radius to keep from saturating my area and dropping my sales.

So ladies what else do I need to do to become Green? I feel like I am missing something obvious.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 11:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• What do you sell?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I didn't want to be accused of using this section as an advertisement so I didn't mention it. But I sell second hand and out of print books.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would say focus on greening your office at this point. Low energy computers and such...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• There are tons of things, but an obvious one is a simple "living" the green life! I commend you on what you have already done to this point! I happen to use all green products in my home for everything from cleaning to personal care. I can show you the company I use. We also have energy efficient everything, turn the energy vampires off when not in use or unplug them and reduce, reuse, recycle everything, which you have a good handle on. My advise is to simply pay attention to your every day activities and go from there. I wrote a series of articles for my local newspaper on this very topic a few years ago. I'm not sure if I still have them, (computer crash) but will see if I can get them from the newspaper archives or the library.
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 11:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• mrslabel thank you. I do already use some green products in my home (where my office is) do composting, gray water collecting, and a lot more, BUT I know there are somethings I haven't done yet. The whole shut off the computer thing is something my husband frowns upon, but we have a science program running on our systems when not at use (SETI based) so all energy is not lost....we do have solar powered items thata re basically used on my business trips (for lanterns and heat during over night fairs & festivals) But please send me the info on the articles and I will see if I can find them.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011