Baby bumps head help!!!!!!

my 7 1/2 mnth old was sitting up playing on the floor with me when she fel backwards and hit her head o nthe corner of her baby wipes box before hitting her head she now has a soft bump on the left side of her head on the back near the base of her skull and im kinda freaking out being o frist time mom my husband says she fine that babies get bumps shecried but mainly because it scared her and i got upset i gave her tylenol and kept her awake about an hour she was grumpy but i couldnt tell if that was because she was sleepy or from falling the spot seems tender i dont know if im just overreacting or not i could really use some good advice right now she sleeping but i can stir her help!!!!

lillymom828

Asked by lillymom828 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's probably fine. I'd keep an eye on her but if it would make you feel better you could always talk to the nurse hotline with your local hospital.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you have any doubt at all, take her to the Emergency Room, ASAP! It's better to be safe than sorry.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Never give Tylenol or any pain meds if a head injury is suspected unless your DOCTOR tells you to!!!
     If you have any question about her well being CALL YOUR DOCTOR with this info!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• im just worried about taking her to the er and exposing her to something worse
    lillymom828

Comment by lillymom828 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would also take her to the ER if you have doubts. With a fall or hit to the head though its actually a good sign when you see the bump or egg shape and sometimes bruising, meaning the rupture has come outward and its not internal.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Your husband is probably right. When my son was about that age he fell from a standing position (holding my hand) flat on the back of his head onto the wood floor. He screamed really hard for a minute, then nursed and acted fine. I was so worried, went and did some reading and everything I read said baby's heads are made to be very strong and withstand hard bumps because they are babies and that's what happens to them. Look for signs of changes in behavior, unequal pupil dilation, unusual sleepiness.... just look up head trauma and it will give you a list of things to look for, but there's hardly any way a baby can fall hard enough from a sitting position to really cause damage. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Seriously? Do you moms run your babies to the ER every time they bump their heads?? She fell from a sitting position for crying out loud!

Hang in there mama. Her little head is probably no more then bruised, just watch for signs of unusual behavior.
    Anonymous

• tha baby is FINE.. :) dont over think it or you'll go insane as long as shes acting ok your ok.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• No @ anon, my daughter is almost 4 and she has been to the ER once when she was 2 weeks old and 5 weeks preemie! So definently never took her for any old bump and scratch, I think people said IF SHE HAD DOUBTS that the child was not ok, e.g was acting out of character etc it would be best for that mother to have the child checked out.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• htanks guys fro all the help she seems ok this morning just a liil hard knot on the back of her head it about the size of the tip of my finger she eating ok and playing so thanks
    lillymom828

Comment by lillymom828 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2011