Anyone get panic attacks? How do you manage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• i control my breathing. and my dh holds my hand and tells me to breath slowly he also tells me im safe ( bad experence in 1 cerin town ) so if we have to drive threw that town which is rare he helps me threw it. but breathing helps me.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• a counslor taught me this. when you have a panic attack or feel like yorue getting one breathe in for ten counts slowly (it takes practice to be able to do it for ten seconds, its actually a long time to breathe in!) hold for three seconds, breathe out slowly for ten seconds.
    do this at least three times, or continue until you feel better
    it actually lowers hormones in your body so it WILL calm you down.
    research other breathing techniques too!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I stay away from whatever triggers them

Answer by admckenzie at 11:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes breathe in as long as you can (as big a breath you can) and hold it as long as you can. same thing with breathing out, as long as you can, hold it, Slow down your heart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I used to be on medication, and was still unable to control it. Then, I discovered Yoga and meditation. It has changed my life forever. I am able to better focus my energy, and control these attacks. I have not had one in a year :) Even within the tragedy of my grandmother passing, I was able to control it. I am also off of all medications. You should really try it. I take a class at my college, but I am sure they have some in your local community.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 1:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yes I get them all the time more often when I am really stressed; I am on medicine for them but also taking a few deep breathes helps; meditation also helps
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I do and I take xanax when they get really bad
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes! Yoga helps a lot, the whole breathing thing. I also use lavendar oil. Just a drop on the insides of my wrists, deep breaths, helps a ton.
    Amomand4kids

Answer by Amomand4kids at 12:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I used to have them...tried many things until I found out about cognitive behavioral therapy - it was the only thing that helped me...
    meitaljames

Answer by meitaljames at 12:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• deep breathes, but what really helped was learning my triggers- for example, and this may be weird, i get incredibly anxious in real crowded supermarkets, especially when i have dd with me. i don't know what it is, but i freak out. so instead of putting myself in that situation, i simply make sure SO comes with me and we go at odd times when it's not so busy, and we do it fast enough- and sometimes i even step outside for a minute.

as far as other things, try to find your triggers and if you can recognize them, then you can start deep breathing BEFORE you have the attack. if it's too late, than try to get space and time alone, and just remember that it's okay-it's not the end of the world (literally) and whatever it is, you can survive them!!! cognitive behavioral therapy (i see someone else mentioned it) is wonderful too.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011